Sign in to follow this  
jochen

COLLADA loader

Hi all, I'm planning to use either Collada-DOM or FCollada to import collada documents, however I need 64bit versions. Does anybody have experience which one is better suited for the task? 64bit wise and usablility wise? Best Jochen

Note: I've only used FCollada in real applications so I can only comment on that.

First time I made a COLLADA loader using FCollada it took about a week to learn the API and make my first loader. Also since my applications interacts with ColladaMax or ColladaMaya I thought it was logical to use the library that is used to make those plugins.

I recently ported my projects to support 64-bit and haven't ran into any problems yet. I actually didn't have to change a thing on the loader to support 64-bit (probably because I was careful to use the correct types all the time).

JFF

I am a COLLADA_DOM user myself, I use it on both Windows XP 32bit and Linux 64bit, so far no issues.

The downside with COLLADA_DOM is that it is quite low level, it provides you with the information contained in the documents, but it doesn't try to make it easy to manipulate.