Sign in to follow this  
Developeruser

A good gameworld engine

I'm looking for a good game world engine (a game engine that can make a world). I'm not just looking for a graphical engine like orge or crystal space but a whole game engine, and the only requirements are that it must be free and it must be able to do more than a FPS. Multiplayer would be nice, but is not required. Is there anything out there like that, or is this a pipe dream?

For starters, you could say which language youre using. Not every (actually, quite a few) engines exists ported to every language. Ill be checking back to see where this leads. :)

Theres a pretty good game world engine which is the TORQUE Game Engine
http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque/tge/
But it's not free :( theres a demo of it tho if you wanna try it. Thats the only engine that I know of thats good for making game worlds. I think it would be very hard to find a free one and you might have to smash a few keywords into google to find one. But if you are a modder just use a games SDK if it has one, and change it around.

Irrlicht is comparable to OGRE, in that it's only concerned with graphics.

The short answer, AFAIK, is that there's really nothing out there. Why? Well, how do you make a game engine that's generic enough to be broadly usable across multiple genres, but also powerful enough so that it's not just a renderer, a physics engine, audio, etc. slapped together? You don't, not well anyway.

The big commercial engines like Gamebryo are essentially the latter: a nice cross-platform 3D engine, with a few supplementary tools.

There are plenty of outstanding open-source tools available (OGRE, ODE, Bullet, Python, OpenAL, etc) and somewhat-free ones (Newton, RakNet, FMOD). You need to put them together in a way that makes sense for *your* game. And if you do it well, your engine could be reused for *similar* games.

Might I suggest a complete system with an editor. Open source and
Free for Commercial and non-commercial use. Only Raknet and Ageia
PhysX source is not supplied, but you can get them from the appropriate
companies.

Elemental Engine II

http://www.phatyaffle.com and register for free account as a developer.

It has 44 videos of training tutorials with more to come on the wiki.

List of Features:
DirectX 9 Renderer for PC and XBOX360
Full Physics System (Ageia PhysX)
Full Multiplayer Networking System (RakNet)
Robust Particle System
Multithreaded Enhanced System
Full 3d Audio System
Hierarchy State Machines
LUA Scripting
Terrain Deforming and Texture Painting
3DS Max and others Model Exporter using cal3D
XML Data-Driven Design
Material and Shader System

EE 2: MFC editor with expandable plug-in system
* Terrain
* LUA Editor/Debugger
* State Machine Editor
* GUI Editor
* Particle Editor
* World Editor with Event/Trigger System
* Model & Animation Viewer
* Database Editor

Quote:
Original post by PaulHollingworth
There is a few out there though nothing that's really taken off. Open Game Engine (opengameengine.org) looks promising but isn't quite finished yet.

Exactly. I can name several other engines/frameworks for OGRE that sounded promising (Yake, GOOF) but have been vaporware for years. You can wait forever for something that may never be in a usable state, or you can write your own specialized engine in a few months and learn quite a lot in the process.

Quote:
Original post by drakostar
Quote:
Original post by PaulHollingworth
There is a few out there though nothing that's really taken off. Open Game Engine (opengameengine.org) looks promising but isn't quite finished yet.

Exactly. I can name several other engines/frameworks for OGRE that sounded promising (Yake, GOOF) but have been vaporware for years. You can wait forever for something that may never be in a usable state, or you can write your own specialized engine in a few months and learn quite a lot in the process.

That's what I decided to do in my spare time kinda, I had the idea to make a nice, clean, up-to-date game engine that had all the features that could be needed to make a game, but since I work on it alone as more of just a learning process, I doubt I will ever really finish it. I have a really big TODO list and only a couple things are done basically. It's still a fun learning experience though and if I ever get it functioning, it would be great.

Quote:
Original post by drakostar
Irrlicht is comparable to OGRE, in that it's only concerned with graphics.

The short answer, AFAIK, is that there's really nothing out there. Why? Well, how do you make a game engine that's generic enough to be broadly usable across multiple genres, but also powerful enough so that it's not just a renderer, a physics engine, audio, etc. slapped together? You don't, not well anyway.

The big commercial engines like Gamebryo are essentially the latter: a nice cross-platform 3D engine, with a few supplementary tools.
Actually, Gamebryo is basically "just a graphics engine" too. If you want sound, physics, networking you've got to go and purchase other middleware to do those things and roll it all into your own engine.

Quote:
Original post by Developeruser
I'm looking for a good game world engine (a game engine that can make a world). I'm not just looking for a graphical engine like orge or crystal space but a whole game engine, and the only requirements are that it must be free and it must be able to do more than a FPS. Multiplayer would be nice, but is not required. Is there anything out there like that, or is this a pipe dream?

>good game world engine
mhmmm

>a whole game engine
ok

>it must be able to do more than a FPS
yep

Well, based on your criteria for a game engine I do believe you are looking for something that is a full blown, high end, production game engine.....

...i.e. you will end up paying for a nice engine with full functionality which you so desire, or you will have to just accept that not all of your criteria can be met _for_free_. Sorry, but that's just the way I see it as a common sense factor. :)