A good gameworld engine

Started by
14 comments, last by jjanevski 15 years, 8 months ago
I'm looking for a good game world engine (a game engine that can make a world). I'm not just looking for a graphical engine like orge or crystal space but a whole game engine, and the only requirements are that it must be free and it must be able to do more than a FPS. Multiplayer would be nice, but is not required. Is there anything out there like that, or is this a pipe dream?
Advertisement
For starters, you could say which language youre using. Not every (actually, quite a few) engines exists ported to every language. Ill be checking back to see where this leads. :)
I'm open to several although (outside of scripting) C++ would be my preference.
Theres a pretty good game world engine which is the TORQUE Game Engine
http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque/tge/
But it's not free :( theres a demo of it tho if you wanna try it. Thats the only engine that I know of thats good for making game worlds. I think it would be very hard to find a free one and you might have to smash a few keywords into google to find one. But if you are a modder just use a games SDK if it has one, and change it around.
Right now I'm looking for something I can redistribute and free is at the top of my list. Although Torque does look like a great game engine.
The Neverwinter Nights toolkit?
RealmCrafter?
C4 Engine
Blender Game Engine
Source SDK is powerful if you're a masochist. It requires you to buy at least one Source game tho, which will set you back at least $5.
You might want to check out irrlicht.
Irrlicht is comparable to OGRE, in that it's only concerned with graphics.

The short answer, AFAIK, is that there's really nothing out there. Why? Well, how do you make a game engine that's generic enough to be broadly usable across multiple genres, but also powerful enough so that it's not just a renderer, a physics engine, audio, etc. slapped together? You don't, not well anyway.

The big commercial engines like Gamebryo are essentially the latter: a nice cross-platform 3D engine, with a few supplementary tools.

There are plenty of outstanding open-source tools available (OGRE, ODE, Bullet, Python, OpenAL, etc) and somewhat-free ones (Newton, RakNet, FMOD). You need to put them together in a way that makes sense for *your* game. And if you do it well, your engine could be reused for *similar* games.
There is a few out there though nothing that's really taken off. Open Game Engine (opengameengine.org) looks promising but isn't quite finished yet.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement