Sign in to follow this  
Code Zombie

Project creation failure with visual c++ 2008 express

I don't know if it is this crappy vista I'am running or just that since it is kinda like freeware its got a lot of bugs in it, but anyway everytime i try to create any new project on it... it says "creating project<project name>... project creation failed". now i uninstalled and reinstalled it 4 times now as well as unistalling and reinstalling the .NET framework and it stills give the same stupid error. Now i was planning on buying visual studio just to get visual c++ 2008 but after this i worry that it will probably work the same way as this.. does anyone have any suggestions on what i cud do to fix this?

My gut reaction was that you got the error that a project with that name already exists. Sometimes when you delete a project and try to make a new one with the same name (even with the folders and files deleted) visual studio complains.

Have you tried creating projects with different names?

You might also make sure that you're running VS as an administrator (right click the program and then click "Run as Administrator". It's not so much of as an issue with the new 2008 but it can simplify issues that can pop up with certain configurations.

The biggest problem is the user scheme that Vista uses. It feels copied and pasted from unix with little to no forethought, so selecting things like "install for this user only" can cause permission issues writing to certain files. Also completed .NET projects compile "on-the-fly" (unless you tell them not to) and they get tagged with the user that "compiled" the program and no one else can run it. You have to "publish" and install them to be able to even use them in folders that you do explicitly own. Running VS in Admin can alleviate most of these problems. Alternately you can ensure that you're creating your projects in your own personal Documents Folder.