• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mzworowski

c++ standard question (solved)

This topic is 3588 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, as in the subject - let's say I have the following expression (simplified - false may be some kind of logical check, foo is a function / method name): if ( false && foo() ) { ... } Now I know about operations precedence and that this is an example of bad practice (side effects in 'if') etc.. The question is if C++ standard in 100% guarantees that funtion foo() won't be invoked? Or maybe it is a compiler dependant behaviour? In other words: if some compiler processes both 'false' and 'foo()' statements than does it mean that it is not C++ standard compliant? Thank you, BR, [Edited by - mzworowski on July 29, 2008 8:54:28 PM]

Advertisement
correct, foo() should never get processed. Otherwise things like this would crash:

void something( SomeClass *poop )
{
if ( poop && poop->IsDead() )
{
return;
}
}

What compiler are you using. If you say Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 you should have upgraded ~3 years ago when the 2005 express edition was made free [smile]

-me

I'm using some decent gcc on Linux / Solaris, target PowerPC. But the question is not related to any specific compiler. I was just curious what ISO / ANSI specification says about this.
I understand that there is an explicit statement in specification that in case of '&&' operator - when left operand logical result is 'false' than the right side expression shall / must not be processed. Correct?

Thanks for help,
BR

Yes, the two built-in operators && and || have short-circuit semantics as per the ISO/IEC 14882:2003 standard. There is also a sequence point between the two operands.

Quote:
5.14.1 of the Standard
The && operator groups left-to-right. The operands are both implicitly converted to type bool (clause 4). The result is true if both operands are true and false otherwise. Unlike &, && guarantees left-to-right evaluation: the second operand is not evaluated if the first operand is false.
Quote:
5.15.1 of the Standard
The || operator groups left-to-right. The operands are both implicitly converted to bool (clause 4). It returns true if either of its operands is true, and false otherwise. Unlike |, || guarantees left-to-right evaluation; moreover, the second operand is not evaluated if the first operand evaluates to true.

Note, however, that the above does not hold for overloaded operators && and ||. If you overload && or || and the expression resolves to calling this operator, rules for calling regular function apply here -- so no sequence point between operands and no short-circuit evaluation for overloaded operators, only built-in operators short-circuit.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!