Scaling Sliders

Started by
1 comment, last by Zahlman 15 years, 8 months ago
Hello all, During the development of my game, I decided that a particular tool would be useful in balancing some of the various types of attributes that exist in the game. This tool would have the appearance of a series of horizontal sliders. The sliders' values would range from 0.0 to 1.0, with a resolution of 3 decimal places. Ideally, when a slider is gripped and dragged along its track, the program modifies all sliders in the set such that the sum of their values always equals 1.0. There may be any number of sliders in the set. My first question is, does such a tool already exist? I'm sort of clueless when it comes to terminology, and I didn't find anything when googling for "scale slider" (I'm sure this is not the term). Maybe "weighted slider"? Anyways, I'll be embarking on a mini quest to write such a program if none already exists, so I would appreciate any insight into the correct terminology (if any) for what I'm doing. Best regards, - DH
Advertisement
You probably won't find anything that simple on the web.

Sounds like a 15 minute project in VB or C#. Drop three sliders on a form. Drop some text boxes on there that show the value to three decimal places and hook them up to the sliders so they stay in sync. Next write a fairly simple function that increases or decreases two of values when the third increases or decreases. Done.
Quote:Original post by DarkHorizon
This tool would have the appearance of a series of horizontal sliders. The sliders' values would range from 0.0 to 1.0, with a resolution of 3 decimal places.

Consider that for 3 decimal places to be meaningful, the slider would have to be on the order of 1000 pixels long.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement