• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Quat

Programming Simulators

This topic is 3709 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I work on a device that measures various elements in fluids. Additionally, the device has various sensors to measure the environment: for example, it requires a certain temperature to operator correctly. It is cumbersome to test these cases. For example, putting the device in a freezer to drop its temperature for testing that the software does the right thing. So we want to write a program that allows testers to give input to the software to simulate these kinds of conditions. But I have no idea how this is done. Are there any books on this or articles? I don't even know the proper name for such a thing, which makes doing a search difficult.

Advertisement
Well, how do the sensors work? You're essentially creating software sensors or some test rig to emulate sensor input.

I suppose that'll be of use for early testing, but I wouldn't let the thing out the door without at least putting a few of the things in the freezer.

The obvious solution to me is to stick the thing in the freezer once, record all the sensor inputs to a file, and then use that recorded data to test the software.

All you need to do is have a setting that makes your sensor reading functions pull data from that file, rather than reading the actual sensors, and make sure that all code that reads the sensors does so via those functions.

Having it always record the sensor data to a file would also make it much easier to reproduce bugs - if you find a problem just grab a copy of that file and you should be able to reproduce the issue with it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!