Revenues for a project

Started by
12 comments, last by Metallon 15 years, 8 months ago
@Obscure: Can't argue with that. You're right.

@d000hg: The bonus pay? Yep. How long the game would take isn't something I would know of course. I won't be gathering a team and make everyone get to work. I have to design the game first and ready a GDD. Then artwork and some of the coding will start, then the graphics. after that, we'd have to set up a website and a community forum, then do some further coding (to make it an online multiplayer game, as intended), and hire a web designer to make the website look fancy and then hire someone to do sound effects (and a little music, too). It might take less than a year, or longer. I don't expect that any one member other to work for a year. Possibly the game programmer and the web programmer.

As for the hours per week, that's not something I would want to answer. It's up to them, really. If I recruited the right person, then they'd do enough work to get stuff done (which would also have a lot to do with the way I manage and lead the project, the team and the individual members).

I think we're getting somewhere now. :)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Metallon
As for the hours per week, that's not something I would want to answer. It's up to them, really. If I recruited the right person, then they'd do enough work to get stuff done (which would also have a lot to do with the way I manage and lead the project, the team and the individual members).
It matters if you're looking for someone to spend their Saturday afternoon doing a few hours coding, or most of their free time, or only take a part time job to dedicate time to your project. How much commitment are you expecting... this is usually going to express itself in how much time someone will put in.

I don't think you made it clear if you're expecting to get professional programmers with industry experience, or university students looking to get a portfolio, or school kids who bought a "learn C++ in a week" book?

Quote:Original post by Metallon
How long the game would take isn't something I would know of course....
...It might take less than a year, or longer.....
As for the hours per week, that's not something I would want to answer. It's up to them, really.

Hopefully as you are typing all that you can see how impossible it is to answer your bonus question. There is no right amount to pay for an unknown amount of work over an unknown period of time by unknown people. If you get to the end of the project then pay them what you think is right (or come back and tell us the details of the project). Then we might be able to answer that question.

Your post above shows that you understand all the planning you need to do. That is a good sign and that is what you should focus on. There is such a massively high failure rate for these sorts of projects that worrying about something that far ahead is pointless. Get on with planning/making your game and worry about bonuses when you know enough about the project. Good luck.

Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
@d000hg: As I already mentioned, I'm looking for people who want to get into the industry and need practical experience working with a team and possibly build on their portfolio. Essentially people who aren't in the game industry, but who want to work there. My two friends who will be helping along and I all want to be in the game industry.

Again, I wouldn't want to say how much I would want them to work based on hours as people need different amounts of time to get started. I start slow but once I've begun, I tend to work for a long time if I can. It depends on the individual, what his work is, how much spare time he has and how much he wants to work on the project. I've learned that it's not always a chore to work on someone else's project. On the contrary, I love working on other people's projects. It's more realistic than making your own stuff, when compared to how the industry is today.

@Obscure: That's right. I don't think the question can be answered - at least not now, anyway. Though I did learn a thing or two from this topic, so I can't really say I regret posting it and taking my time with it.

Again, I fully agree with you. I don't have anything else to say, really.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement