Any good C# tutorials?

Started by
3 comments, last by daviangel 15 years, 8 months ago
I've been learning C++ for quite awhile, and I want to start learning some C#. I saw the tutorials listed in the Noteworthy Treads and Articles thread, but I don't know how to tell how up to date they are. Not sure how much of a difference this makes, but I plan on using C# for applications development rather then for games. Also, I'm primarily concerned with Windows, but I may want to write some programs for Linux as well, just for fun. I've been wondering how good Mono is. Will what I write for Windows run on Linux, or will I have to do some major rewriting?
Advertisement
Mono is quite usable, but it's implementation of Windows Forms (since Forms is not actually part of the BCL, dispite sitting in the System namespace) is poor, so if you are thinking of writing GUI code that is trivially cross-platform you may be in for a bumpy ride.

Unfortunately I have little in the way of beginner C# tutorials to offer you.
As far as learning C# if you know C++ going to C# is fairly easy. I learned most of the basic concepts by using dynamic help in Visual C# Express and browsing the MSDN library myself.

As far as portability, MS touts C# as being portable, but it is highly dependent on the .NET framework and it's associated DLLs so I would expect you would run into serious issues. However, C# was MS attempt at Java for C++ programmers and is fairly similar in structure, but is infinitely more portable.
jpetrie: Thanks for the info on Mono. I think I'll just stick to Windows then.

tehXKnight: I found one from that thread that seemed decent and went through it pretty quickly. C# seems to be more similar to C++ than I previously thought.
Well if you are already familiar with programming Petzold's free tutorial can get you up to speed and is pretty current:
.NET Book Zero
This free on-line 267-page book is an introduction to C# and the Microsoft .NET Framework for programmers who have experience with C or C++.

Version 1.1 of .NET Book Zero was uploaded on January 1, 2007, and contains numerous minor corrections of typos in version 1.0. Version 1.0 of the downloable code was uploaded on December 4, 2006, and has not changed with the new version of the book.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement