Opinions Needed: Game Engines

Started by
11 comments, last by Black Knight 15 years, 8 months ago
I'm doing some research on game engines (commercial or otherwise), and have had a hard time finding answers to some of my questions. So I was wondering if you guys would be able to provide me with some opinions and insight by answering the following short survey-style questions. Are you working on a game project? Do you plan to sell it when it is completed? Are you using a pre-built engine for your project (commercial or non-commercial)? Why or why not? Any and all results would be a great help! Thanks! P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this post, it just seemed like the best place to get most accurate results to the questions.
--------------------------------------------------Never tempt fate, fate has no willpower.
Advertisement
Quote:Are you working on a game project?

Yes, it's an online RPG which is under the working title of "Loradon 3.0".
Quote:Do you plan to sell it when it is completed?

Yes. We plan on charging a monthly fee for membership, although you will be able to play a section of it for free.
Quote:Are you using a pre-built engine for your project (commercial or non-commercial)? Why or why not?

No, we are using our own engine. I prefer to know as much as possible about the code that I am using. Writing your own engine is also a great way to gain experience and learn.
Quote:
Are you working on a game project? Do you plan to sell it when it is completed?

Yes. That's the plan....

Quote:
Are you using a pre-built engine for your project (commercial or non-commercial)? Why or why not?

Have dabbled with both. At the end of the day the amount of work you put into getting most engines to do what you actually want you might as well write it yourself.

Feel free to 'rate me down', especially when I prove you wrong, because it will make you feel better for a second....
Quote:Are you working on a game project? Do you plan to sell it when it is completed?

Yes, 2 Java projects, a strategy game and a platformer. Both non commercial.

Quote:Are you using a pre-built engine for your project (commercial or non-commercial)? Why or why not?

No, although i would not rule out using a prebuilt engine in the future, most seem overly complex given the relatively simple nature of my games.

---
Visit ssjx.co.uk for Java, Windows and Cybiko games, programs and source code!

Quote:Original post by Alex

Are you working on a game project?

yes

Do you plan to sell it when it is completed?

no, I'll probably just make it open source or something like that.

Are you using a pre-built engine for your project (commercial or non-commercial)? Why or why not?

I'm making my own engine because it sounds like a good learning experience.
Placeholder for better sig.

Yes. It's a game using XNA to target PC and the 360. The current plan is to make it free on the PC, and to sell on XBLCG with all profits given away to charity.

Targeting the 360 means that just about every pre-built engine isn't an option, commercial or otherwise. I spent a lot of time considering the TorqueX engine, which is free without source code or $100 per seat with source code. Licensing the source code wasn't an option, since like I mentioned this is a non-profit operation I'm running. After a lot of testing, I decided that the engine wasn't in mature enough state to use for a proper 3D game. There were too many bugs, and too many holes in he documentation.

So in the end, I had to roll my own engine. It's nothing fancy at all yet it's taken a lot of work to get to where it is, especially on the 360 side of things.

Yes, and maybe, depends how things turn out.

Quote:

Currently no, but at the moment the project is pretty much in the 'concept testing' stages where basic logic is more important than fancy graphics.

At the point in time that it becomes an issue I plan to take another look at TorqueX and the like (as I'm writing it in C# and thus would like to target Windows and the XB360) and see if it fits the bill.

If they don't for sound technical reasons then I will write my game. Note; game. I will not be setting out to write an engine and will produce the code required to support the game only.

Just finished. No.

Quote:

No. Personal preference, plus there wasn't anything that was immediately available that I knew enough to modify so much to produce the game I've made.

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

Yes, a platformer MORPG. Sell? Most likely not.

Depends what you consider the engine. I am using XNA, the .NET framework, and MySQL's .NET connector. Besides that, everything has been done from scratch.

Why? XNA seemed convenient, along with I didn't know it when I started. Same with C#. I already knew MySQL, but I just don't like MSSQL. I just like learning new tools and languages by using them for a project. I've changed through many different styles and components through the development (ie file saving format, network I/O, etc) just so I could play with it and see how it worked.

Though now that I am close to finished with the engine and just have to make the game, I've lost interest in it a bit. I love making engines, not so much making the game. Guess that explains why I never did anything with my other engine (signature) after spending around two years making it.
NetGore - Open source multiplayer RPG engine
Are you working on a game project?
Not currently. I've dropped it to devote more time to a company I work for (it was an hobby project in my spare time).
Do you plan to sell it when it is completed?
No, it was supposed to be donateware at best - my primary source of income was (and is) elsewhere.
No, the foundamentals were originally started as a research issue. Furthermore, I didn't liked how most available engines routinely dodge issues related to increasingly higher complexity. That was supposed to address at least partially those issues.

Previously "Krohm"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement