• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
webwraith

variable resolutions

This topic is 3670 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

With OGL on Windows, is it possible to have a different window resolution to the screens resolution? For example, you have a window that is 1024x768 in desktop resolution, but OGL recognises the window as being 640x480

Advertisement
I wondered if it was possible to do it this way, rather than have to change the whole displays resolution, to reduce the view of the desktop at a potentially odd resolution when a program exits while in fullscreen mode

I think what Brother Bob meant, was that if you want the resolution to be 1024x768, why not have the resolution be 1024x768? You could even render to an offscreen 640x480 buffer and then scale that up to draw to the window.

I take it, rendering to an offscreen buffer would be effectively rendering to a texture? I wanted to do this so users can change the games resolution without changing the screens resolution. I'm pretty sure this is how Guild Wars works, although I could be wrong on that front.

So you would want the user to increase the resolution, but still render at a low resolution and effectively gain nothing in terms of effective resoloution?

Aside the fact that you cannot have a "logical" resolution other than the physical resolution, it seems to me that all you want is a method to have a coordinate system independent of the actual screen resolution. That, however, is not only possible, but he way it actually works. Just use the same projection matrix setup no matter what resolution you have, and your application will be screen resolution independent.

Nope, I want the user to effectively be able to choose the resolution that they run the game at, independant of the resolution of the Desktop. The game would then render at the resolution the player has set.

If I understand correctly you want to render at a lower resolution and stretch to the full screen, which can be useful for fixed-resolution 2D for example. I know that in D3D you can just set the back buffer size, but I don't know of any way to do that in OpenGL. Perhaps you have to render to a texture and then render that to a fullscreen quad.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!