• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sqpat

wchar concatenating and stuff (c++)

This topic is 3615 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

im trying to get a sound file's filename (in wChars) by a function call to a method. it basically takes 3 parts: a. L"sfx/sound/battle/" b. an eight wchar lookup from a file titled battle.bin c. L".wav" here is how im doing it:

WCHAR* getSoundFilename (int soundID){

WCHAR* filename = (WCHAR*) malloc (30*sizeof(WCHAR)); 
    WCHAR filepart[8];

FILE * pFile;

pFile = fopen ("sfx/sound/battle/battle.bin","r");
	fseek (pFile , 8*sizeof(WCHAR)*soundID , SEEK_SET );
	fread(filepart, sizeof(WCHAR), 8, pFile);
        fclose(pFile);

wcsncat(filename,L"sfx/sound/battle/", 17);
    wcsncat(filename, filepart, 8);
	wcsncat(filename, L".wav", 4);

return filename;
}
I can tell you from debugging that the contents of 'filepart look right. There is nothing wrong with the file lookup, or the battle.bin's format. However, when im returning the filename, it looks like i have 30 WCHARs worth of uninitialized in front of the correctly formatted filename. I think it's concatenating the wchars to the end of whatever space was reserved by the malloc call, or something. But im not sure what to do about this

Advertisement
no idea. how do you mean? like if i do:

std::wstring str(L"sfx/sound/battle/");

or something? I'm not seeing how this is any different. Sorry, i just found out about this datatype today and im not familiar with how to work with it too well.

Quote:
Original post by sqpat
no idea. how do you mean? like if i do:

std::wstring str(L"sfx/sound/battle/");

or something? I'm not seeing how this is any different. Sorry, i just found out about this datatype today and im not familiar with how to work with it too well.

For example, concatenating two wide strings:

std::wstring str(L"Hello ");
str += L"World!";

That simple.

Always prefer C++ string objects (std::string, std::wstring) over C-strings.

Ugh. While that does make things a LOT easier, this directX function requires a WCHAR* filename argument. I tried the .c_str() method of wstring but that returns a wchar_t*, and i have no idea how to convert wstring or wchar_t* to wchar*. Google's got nothing either.

Sorry, im new to C++, ive mostly used C. Strings were always easiest in QBasic :)

WCHAR is just a typedef for wchar_t. c_str() should work fine for any Windows API or DX functions. [smile]

I made a blog post a while back about strings and character sets, you might find it a bit useful.

PS: don't worry about being confused, I assure you myself and plenty of others were just as confused when we started working with this stuff.

i think i figured it out;

c_str() returned a const wchar_t. So i had to do this:

return const_cast<wchar_t*>(filename.c_str());

i'm not even quite sure what a const_cast is so i should probably look it up incase im returning an invalid pointer, lol.

Casting const-ness away from a pointer returned by c_str() is really nothing more than an invitation to blow up the whole thing.

In your case, however, it looks like you are now trying to return a pointer into an object that goes out of scope when the function ends (the pointer becomes a dangling pointer immediately).

Why not return the wstring itself instead? Is there any reason why you think the caller should have to deal with messy pointers, now that you have comfortably implemented this function with a higher-level object?

all right, i got it working. the const_cast cant be returned that way. here is how i went about it:

void getSoundFilename (int soundID, wchar_t* returnVal){

WCHAR filepart[9];

FILE * pFile;

pFile = fopen ("sfx/sound/battle/battle.bin","r");
fseek (pFile , 8*sizeof(WCHAR)*soundID , SEEK_SET );
fread(filepart, sizeof(WCHAR), 8, pFile);
fclose(pFile);
filepart[8] = 0x0000;

std::wstring filename(L"sfx/sound/battle/");

filename.append(filepart);
filename += L".wav";

wcscpy(returnVal, const_cast<wchar_t*>(filename.c_str()));

}

note a couple differences; i had to append a null terminator (0x0000) to the end of 'filepart' now that i wasnt using the concatenation. I also changed it from returning a value to storing the value in a passed in pointer, because the const wchar_t that was being spit out by c_str() made this more convenient.

EDIT: 1.learn to use code tag correctly
2. can strings be returned? i thought they were just beautified char arrays. I basically stopped using strings because of how hard-assed C was about them. Either way, i need WCHAR* and its much cleaner to do that conversion inside the function rather than outside of the function after it returns a wstring.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!