A List of PL for 2D or 3D?

Started by
6 comments, last by ToohrVyk 15 years, 8 months ago
Hello! I am wondering if there is an existing List available that tells you: -Which Programming Languages are useful for creating 2D games? -Which Programming Languages are useful for creating 3D games? I would deeply appreciate any information regarding the previous two questions! Thanks! "How can you choose your Programming Language if you don't even know what you can do with it?" Thanks! -Doug
Advertisement
Virtually all modern programming languages are suitable for both 2D and 3D graphics, with the obvious exception of languages which are explicitly designed exclusively for other special purposes (think firewall rules and such). It makes some sense to choose a language based on graphics packages available for it; C, C++, Java, all .NET languages, Python, Perl, and Pascal all have more than adequate graphics capabilities. Of the considerations involved in choosing a language, graphics capabilities are very minor.
C#,C,C++,Python,Java, Game creation kits with scripting languages, etc. Take your pick.
Agreed with the above comments. If you are already familiar with a language that is close to what you need then I'd suggest running with that. For instance, if you know some C++ (or even a language with syntax that is close) then that might be a good choice given it's widespread use in games.

Ultimately as long as the language you choose has sufficient features for the project you're aiming to undertake then go for it - game development is about much more than just learning syntax, the language is just the tool.

Visit http://www.mugsgames.com

Stroids, a retro style mini-game for Windows PC. http://barryskellern.itch.io/stroids

Mugs Games on Twitter: [twitter]MugsGames[/twitter] and Facebook: www.facebook.com/mugsgames

Me on Twitter [twitter]BarrySkellern[/twitter]

I've used C++ with my own OGL code, C++ with Irrlicht, and "GameMaker" with it scripting code. The reality of my situation is as the above poster has said. It is all just tools. The quality of games I have made between the 3 toolsets I have used is about the same(next to none) and it didn't matter which I used. My point is that if you have the mindset to make games, and you have the motivation to back it up, there isn't really anything to stop you. So many tools are available(and FREE too), so pick what looks best and jump into it. If you run into limitations that you can't get around, ask here, and maybe you can switch tools later if your first choice isn't working out.

Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Virtually all modern programming languages are suitable for both 2D and 3D graphics...

It makes some sense to choose a language based on graphics packages available for it; C, C++, Java, all .NET languages, Python, Perl, and Pascal...

Completely agree with Sneftel. With that in mind, if you are not familiar with one of the lower level languages, (ie. C, C++) you should consider learning how to write a game in a higher level language such as Java, VB.NET, Python, etc. That way you can can concentrate on the game play and basic graphics concepts instead of trying to understand all the low level details involved in other languages.

There is also a bunch of different game engines available with scripting languages built in for writing games. (ie. Torque Game Builder, The Game Factory, YoYo games Game Maker) Also with such engines they have a bundled set of tools for doing a lot of the basic redundant tasks involved in writing a game.
Thanks for all the comments!

There are also some Languages that only work for 2D scripting though.

I am gathering information for a chart I'm building and I'll post it later when I get a good amount of info :]
Honest question: does ActionScript support 3D in any reasonably non-contrived way (such as writing your own renderer)?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement