opengl starter project

Started by
5 comments, last by Splinter of Chaos 15 years, 8 months ago
I am looking for a starter opengl project. I want to do something starting from scratch using opengl.
Advertisement
Well, the possibilities are endless.

What you would best be doing is try to do something you have an interest in and would enjoy doing.

Are you new to programing, new to graphics programming?

One of the first things I done was create a visual model of the solar system.
I barely knew how to program and was just starting in C. I never had the planets to size or scale or correct distances appart but there was the 9, 8 not including Pluto :(, revolving around the sun. Quite simple todo especially using the GLUT utility kit.

Or if you are wanting to make games and just starting out, try a tetris clone, it has all the elements that every game has, graphics, input, main loop etc.

If that's not the answer your looking for, post back with more detailed info.
Yeah, choose anything you want, was there anything on your mind when you came here? As long as it's not a huge MMORPG or something like that out of your league right now, it's fine. I chose to make a game engine when I first started, which a lot of people would probably say not to do either, but do whatever you want to do, just take it a step at a time and plan it out. Think about what you want to make and think about how it would be done, what API you would use to make it, and have fun with it!
Theres the good old classic bouncing ball. Just make a ball that bounces around on the screen. You could/should do it both as an actual sphere mesh, and as a textured quad, just so you know how to do both. Then when you've got the hang of it, make a ball bouncing around in a 3d space.

Not that I know anything about 3D graphics, but that's what I would do. It's easy to expand into Pong or Breakout, and then the possibilities are endless.
Quote:I am looking for a starter opengl project. I want to do something starting from scratch using opengl.
I seem to recall that you've started a lot of projects in your time here (Breakout, etc.). What was it about those projects that made them difficult to finish? What did you get hung up on?

If you can identify where you got stuck in your previous projects, that would probably help in terms of coming up with something more manageable to tackle. (The 'bouncing ball' program suggested by theOcelot sounds like a pretty good place to start.)
Probably NeHe would be the best place to start.
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight club
I would encourage something original.

Get something on screen.
Make it so you can move with the arrow keys.

After that, the possibilities are endless!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement