• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
FantaDan

Game Explorer, MinGW and Resource Files

This topic is 3729 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I hope this is the correct place for posting this. Background: The "Windows Game Explorer" needs an executable (EXE or DLL) which stores a XML file with information about a game (including images etc.) as embedded resources. This binary file is passed to the IGameExplorer interface (of the Platform- or DirectX-SDK) and have to contain resources with the names "__GDF_XML" and "__GDF_THUMBNAIL". I compiled a simple DLL with all needed resources and added it to the game explorer (using Visual Studio, with no problems). The resource file looks like this:
__GDF_XML DATA "GDFExampleBinary.gdf.xml"
__GDF_THUMBNAIL DATA "boxart_NEU.png"
101 ICON "gameicon_NEU.ico"
My aim is to create some kind of tool which dynamically compiles small resource DLL files for adding *new* games to the explorer which are not supported by windows or supply their own GDF resources. For that reason I tried to compile the same resource file with MinGW. I am no expert with resource files, but windres.exe does not seem to accept resource names starting with other characters than letters. So "__xx" is not possible (the error message is "syntax error"). But the resource names have to be "__GDF_XML" etc., so I failed to create an executable with MinGW which is accepted by the IGameExplorer interface. My question is: - is there any way to use resource names starting with two under-scores? - is it only possible to write executables for the game explorer using the visual studio compiler? I searched a lot on the internet but it is very hard to find information about resource files and how they are structured, I would be glad for any piece of information!

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!