• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TuaNetwork

Gamer Question

This topic is 3670 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey Guys, I'm here today because i just a Big Fan of Online Games lol, for example: Runescape.. And i just curious, I'm still a High school Student and Don't know any Computer Language ( trying to do my best to learn a game language ). But it is possible to Make a Online Fantasy Mmorpg Web base? I want to make a Similar Game Features like Runescape but the only question is? Will i able to Success my Game Dream? It is against the Policy,Laws to make a Similar game with Difference Game Program,Game Interface,Frame,Quests,Npc,Etc... Any Tips for me to Success my Game Design Dream? Will i able to make a Game? [Edited by - TuaNetwork on July 30, 2008 7:00:06 PM]

Advertisement
I am going to be honest with you, when I read your post I expected to look and see that you were from a non-English speaking country, only to find you were from Oregon. Come on, were you just not trying at all, or did you lie about being in high school and you are really 4?

Anyways, sure a game like Runescape is possible, no it is not illegal if you do not steal any of their assets or content. At the time Java is your only really option for making interactive, and 3D, browser based games.

Good luck! Be warned though, RPGs are the hardest type of game to create.

Thanks for the Tips,

True, English is my 2nd Language, And i do live in Oregon ( I'm 17 Years old )
Any tips of finding the Engine? i find one at http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/

jmonkeyengine is a very powerful engine and well, probably out of your range in accessibility because it does not in the least hold you by your hands in the development of a game. Take a look at something like Game Maker (which is free, by the way) and spend some time creating games and learning its built in scripting system. Or, as an alternative, try something like the Unreal engine and create your own mutators. Starting small like this allows you to succeed easier, thus fueling a drive to hit your own next milestone.

A game like Runescape, well, takes a lot of people a lot of time. No, one person by himself is not going to be able to do it within any sort of feasible time. Spend some time learning to program or create art assets and then work on assembling a team of people. Learn to walk before you try to run, or you'll fall flat on your face [wink]

Umm ok, Well is there any Good Similar Engine to Runescape that is Web base Game Engine i can use?

like people can go to my web and register an account then they can either play as Non-Member or Upgrade to become a members?

Quote:
like people can go to my web and register an account then they can either play as Non-Member or Upgrade to become a members?
You have to program all of this. You admit not knowing any computer languages (which translates to you not having any experience in programming). Set aside the idea of programming a game for now (because you can’t, errr, program), and focus on learning the craft.

You're looking to far ahead. If you want to accomplish that someday, start out small. Start learning Java now.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!