Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
EmptyVoid

OpenGL glBindBuffer?

This topic is 3613 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

When I try to use glBindBuffer I get "error C3861: 'glBindBuffer': identifier not found" So what header or lib do I need to use it? here are the headers I'm using at the moment: windows.h, stdio.h, gl\gl.h, gl\glu.h, cg\cg.h and cg\cgGL.h

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Moonshoe
http://www.opengl.org/wiki/index.php/Getting_started#OpenGL_2.0_and_extensions


That's not telling me anything...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
glBindBuffer is not a standard function but an extension, so you have to include glext.h and get a function pointer to glBindBuffer. The link posted before explains this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by Ashkan
Or simply use GLEE & glBindBufferARB()


So would a real game company consider that to be appropriate coding?

[Edited by - EmptyVoid on July 31, 2008 4:24:47 AM]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by EmptyVoid
Quote:
Original post by Ashkan
Or simply use GLEE & glBindBufferARB()


So would a real game company consider that to be appropriate coding?

Are you working for a real game company? Do you want to dismiss a very simple and easy way out becuase real companies don't use that particular solution (not saying they are, or aren't)?

The link Moonshoe posted tells you exactly what is wrong and how to solve it if you don't want the easy way out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by Brother Bob
Quote:
Original post by EmptyVoid
Quote:
Original post by Ashkan
Or simply use GLEE & glBindBufferARB()


So would a real game company consider that to be appropriate coding?

Are you working for a real game company? Do you want to dismiss a very simple and easy way out becuase real companies don't use that particular solution (not saying they are, or aren't)?

The link Moonshoe posted tells you exactly what is wrong and how to solve it if you don't want the easy way out.


This is going to be a part of my portfolio so I don't care if I take the easy way or not as long as it looks professional. I generally try to stay away from third party APIs since there have been allot that have become depreciated.

[Edited by - EmptyVoid on July 31, 2008 5:39:49 AM]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by EmptyVoid
Quote:
Original post by Brother Bob
Quote:
Original post by EmptyVoid
Quote:
Original post by Ashkan
Or simply use GLEE & glBindBufferARB()


So would a real game company consider that to be appropriate coding?

Are you working for a real game company? Do you want to dismiss a very simple and easy way out becuase real companies don't use that particular solution (not saying they are, or aren't)?

The link Moonshoe posted tells you exactly what is wrong and how to solve it if you don't want the easy way out.


This is going to be a part of my portfolio so I don't care if I take the easy way or not as long as it looks professional.
While I'm not a recruiter, my guess would be that using GLEE would be preferrable. Something as trivial as checking for extensions yourself doesn't really say anything about your coding skills, but using a simple library to do it for you does say something about your common sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I know one of them will become depreciated at some point like GLaux. So which would be better to use GLew or GLee and why?

[Edited by - EmptyVoid on July 31, 2008 7:27:23 AM]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!