• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

OpenGL glBindBuffer?

This topic is 3460 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When I try to use glBindBuffer I get "error C3861: 'glBindBuffer': identifier not found" So what header or lib do I need to use it? here are the headers I'm using at the moment: windows.h, stdio.h, gl\gl.h, gl\glu.h, cg\cg.h and cg\cgGL.h

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Moonshoe
http://www.opengl.org/wiki/index.php/Getting_started#OpenGL_2.0_and_extensions

That's not telling me anything...

glBindBuffer is not a standard function but an extension, so you have to include glext.h and get a function pointer to glBindBuffer. The link posted before explains this.

Quote:
Original post by Ashkan
Or simply use GLEE & glBindBufferARB()

So would a real game company consider that to be appropriate coding?

[Edited by - EmptyVoid on July 31, 2008 4:24:47 AM]

Quote:
Original post by EmptyVoid
Quote:
Original post by Ashkan

Are you working for a real game company? Do you want to dismiss a very simple and easy way out becuase real companies don't use that particular solution (not saying they are, or aren't)?

The link Moonshoe posted tells you exactly what is wrong and how to solve it if you don't want the easy way out.

Quote:
Original post by Brother Bob
Quote:
Quote:
Original post by Ashkan

Are you working for a real game company? Do you want to dismiss a very simple and easy way out becuase real companies don't use that particular solution (not saying they are, or aren't)?

The link Moonshoe posted tells you exactly what is wrong and how to solve it if you don't want the easy way out.

This is going to be a part of my portfolio so I don't care if I take the easy way or not as long as it looks professional. I generally try to stay away from third party APIs since there have been allot that have become depreciated.

[Edited by - EmptyVoid on July 31, 2008 5:39:49 AM]

Quote:
Quote:
Original post by Brother Bob
Quote:
Quote:
Original post by Ashkan

This is going to be a part of my portfolio so I don't care if I take the easy way or not as long as it looks professional.
While I'm not a recruiter, my guess would be that using GLEE would be preferrable. Something as trivial as checking for extensions yourself doesn't really say anything about your coding skills, but using a simple library to do it for you does say something about your common sense.

I know one of them will become depreciated at some point like GLaux. So which would be better to use GLew or GLee and why?

[Edited by - EmptyVoid on July 31, 2008 7:27:23 AM]

Quote:
I know one of them will become depreciated at some point like GLaux. So which would be better to use GLew or GLee and why?

Everything will be deprecated at some point, so you're better of not using anything. Not even your own code.

As Valderman was hinting, use what's available, and use your common sense. Both GLee and GLwe works, so just toss a coin or something. If you're stuck with trivial choises like this, imagine what will happen when your choise will actually make a difference. Your program is not about demonstrating your skill in loading OpenGL functions, so don't make it a problem.

For example... our software sells for between $1000 and $4000 a copy, and we use glee.... but we could just as easily have used glew. LOL in fact some of the CODE for the software itself should have been deprecated, destroyed, and forgotten a good 5 years ago but I digress.

Anyway, any company would most likely want you to justify what you are doing. We have 2 licensed 3rd party image libraries, and I'm making one from scratch. But I can justify it (in fact I really didn't have much of a choice). It would have been silly and a waste of company resources, time , and money for us not to use glee or glew though for our opengl code to access extensions.

Cheers
-Scott

Quote:
Original post by Arkhyl
glBindBuffer is not a standard function but an extension, so you have to include glext.h and get a function pointer to glBindBuffer. The link posted before explains this.

No, actually glBindBuffer and the whole VBO API is part of OpenGL 1.5, but on Windows, the actual DLL you link to provides only GL 1.2, and functions from 1.3 and above have to be loaded through wglGetProcAddress(), but it isn't necessary on other OS's

Quote:
Original post by popsoftheyear
For example... our software sells for between $1000 and $4000 a copy, and we use glee.... but we could just as easily have used glew. LOL in fact some of the CODE for the software itself should have been deprecated, destroyed, and forgotten a good 5 years ago but I digress.

Anyway, any company would most likely want you to justify what you are doing. We have 2 licensed 3rd party image libraries, and I'm making one from scratch. But I can justify it (in fact I really didn't have much of a choice). It would have been silly and a waste of company resources, time , and money for us not to use glee or glew though for our opengl code to access extensions.

Cheers
-Scott

Thanks that's what I was looking for but I will have to say glew seems better to me because glee has not been updated for almost 2 years and glew comes with the Nvidia OpenGL SDK which means it's already installed and ready to use.

Quote:
This is going to be a part of my portfolio so I don't care if I take the easy way or not as long as it looks professional. I generally try to stay away from third party APIs since there have been allot that have become depreciated.

That sounds like a terrible idea. You will not impress anyone by reinventing the wheel over and over. When good tools are available (for free) that does what you need, use themæ. Which do you think is most attractive from the point of view of your future employer?
Someone who spends months extra, reinventing things that have been done to death already, coding buggy, badly thought out implementations of libraries that are freely available, wasting the company's resources (both manpower and money), or..... the guy who uses third-party libraries that are known to work reliably, easy to use and saves you development and debugging time?

If you want to make a portfolio to show potential employers, show them that they get value for their money, that you can get things done, and that you don't waste time coding things that aren't necessary.

But to answer your question, plenty of OpenGL software uses Glee or Glew. Why wouldn't they?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement