Sign in to follow this  

Putting my rendering class (C++) in a DLL for use with other programs (in C# maybe)

This topic is 3458 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is this possible? I've never made a library. I suppose it's not important that it's a dynamically-linked one. It just needs to be something that I can somehow include in different projects in different languages. For instance, my game (written in C++) would use it for all of its rendering tasks, and my level editor (C#) would use it to display the level being created. If both programs use the same library, then I can make sure that things look consistent in each.

To make C++ dlls that you can use from .NET languages (including C#), do a gamedev search on the phrase "CLI"

If I used C++\CLI to write the library, will I be able to use it with a program written in unmanaged C++?

If you want to go that route (using the same dll between C# and C++), then lookup "pinvoke" instead; this technique allows you to import specific C++ functions from dlls into C#/.NET. My personal experience with pinvoke is that it's less friendly toward generalized C++/OO behavior (i.e., limits you to C-style), but that could just be that I don't have as much experience with it as with CLI.

Note that you can always create a C++ static lib of your renderer, and then create a CLI dll referencing the C++ static lib and exposing the essentials to C#. Other C++ based projects can then reference the C++ static lib, while your C# apps would reference the CLI dll. The reason for doing this would be that a C++ static lib is simple to make, and CLI (might be) more expressive for exposing objects and such to C#. Someone might want to correct me though on my understanding of P/Invoke vs. CLI.

Thanks! It sounds like the static lib route will be easiest. Do you by chance have any info on how I would create the CLI DLL? And must it be a DLL or is there a .NET static lib that I can make?

To create the CLI dll you'll need to create a new project in visual studio, I believe you create a "Class Library" (In VS 2005, it's New Project -> Visual C++ -> CLR -> Class Library), but you might be able to start from a CLR Empty Project as well. There's no .NET static lib equivalent.

You'll want to read up a bit on C++/CLI, I would search for "CLI" like I mentioned, that should provide quite a few links. I believe there are various journals here by veteran GameDev'ers describing useful tips and tricks. You might also look at the SlimDX project as I believe it uses C++/CLI extensively to expose the C++ DirectX API to C#/.NET.

Sign in to follow this