• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Mass spring system weird integrator

This topic is 3551 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings, I stumbled upon a code segment that implements an integrator for a mass spring system. The code works perfectly and it produces stable results. However I would like to know what is the theory behind this code. Here’s the general algorithm:
// A system is a set of atoms connected by links...
System::Update()
Begin
    For (i=0 to rigidity)
        For each link l
            l->Update();

For each atom a
            a->Snap();
    End For

For each atom a
        a->Update();
End	

Atom::Snap()
begin
    Force *= 1/Mass;
    Position += Force;
    OldPosition += Force * MotionConstant;
    Force = Vector();		// Zeros
end

Atom::Update()
begin
    Vector newPos = 2 * Position - OldPosition;
    newPos.Y += Gravity;

OldPosition = Position;
    Position = newPos;
end

Link::Update()
begin
    // Nothing special, just add some computed values
    // to the atoms connected by this link
end

I’m particularly puzzled by this MotionConstant. Also I would like to find out how to make the computations dependent on time. This is a snippet from the source code of Physical. http://www.alecrivers.com/physical/index.htm I studied and understood the whole code, I'm just missing this point :hoping: Edit: I think I made a mistake, snap is called only once after calling links updates. Also forgot to mention the source link :p Thanks Abdo Haji-Ali Programmer In|Framez [modified by grhodes_at_work to make code listing more readable] [Edited by - Abdo Haji-Ali on August 4, 2008 5:00:33 AM]

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Abdo Haji-Ali

...I would like to know what is the theory behind this code...

...I’m particularly puzzled by this MotionConstant...

...Also I would like to find out how to make the computations dependent on time...

I definitely second that! Very interesting integration setup. Could you perhaps post a more fleshed out / detailed version?

Cheers,
Michael

[Edited by - h4tt3n on August 1, 2008 11:11:06 AM]

Quote:
Original post by h4tt3n
I definitely second that! Very interesting integration setup. Could you perhaps post a more fleshed out / detailed version?

Isn't it? :p I'm really amazed by it's results and simple diagram.
I don't think there're any other details relating to the main integrator. However, I just included the link which I took the algorithm from in my original post. The above code is taken from the two main files: System.cpp and atom.cpp
There are other details concerning collision detection (called repluse fields in this engine) and some sample objects. However, I think this is the main core.

Abdo Haji-Ali
Programmer
In|Framez

PS: I already tried to contact the developer of Physical (Alec Rivers: arr33@cornell.edu). However, I received a message from the mailer-deamon saying that this account is inactive. Sadly enough, Alec doen't mention another way to contact him on his site.

[Edited by - Abdo Haji-Ali on August 2, 2008 4:13:41 AM]

Don't mind the fleshing out :-)

I've found a very similar setup, which supposedly is an avanced version of the verlet integration algo. The one I stumbled across includes an explicit timestep, which I think you were looking for? I wouldn't min posting an example.

btw, shouldn't it be:

Begin
For (i=0 to rigidity)
For each link l
l->Update();

For each atom a
a->Snap(); <---- change
End For

For each atom a
a->Update();
End

cheers,
Michael

Quote:
Original post by h4tt3n
Don't mind the fleshing out :-)

I've found a very similar setup, which supposedly is an avanced version of the verlet integration algo. The one I stumbled across includes an explicit timestep, which I think you were looking for? I wouldn't min posting an example.

Interseting. So you're saying that this algorithm is an advanced version of Verlet integration? That would make sense. Would you please post a link or an example?

Quote:
Original post by h4tt3n
btw, shouldn't it be:

Begin
For (i=0 to rigidity)
For each link l
l->Update();

For each atom a
a->Snap(); <---- change
End For

For each atom a