• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Optimization

This topic is 3490 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been trying to read up on Vertex Buffer objects, in the hopes of optimizing my .obj renderer and certain other effects in my current game project. One thing I don't quite understand is how variable the data is. For my 3D models, it shouldn't be a problem... I could just bind each discrete model to a different ID (I already do that in a more simplified form for identifying each model in-code). For certain, more customizable objects, though, it seems to be a bit fuzzier. For example, I have an effect I recently wrote which is basically a particle emitter for engine exhaust. Since these particles are simple and totally unaffected by other game dynamics (physics, etc) I figured I could encapsulate the effect in a VBO to (massively) speed up rendering. However, this engine effect is not exactly a constant. Each instance of this effect is given its own dimensions, location, orientation, and color. Is there a way to put this in a VBO without losing this customization? :: With any luck, I'll have some good screenies or maybe a little video ready soon to demo my progress. [Edited by - medevilenemy on August 1, 2008 12:33:42 PM]

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement