• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
atultuff

Video Regions

This topic is 3586 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi ! well I have to create a software which can create clickable regions on top of a video , i.e. if there is a car moving in the video and i want it to be clickable than the car shuold be clickable throughout it's presence in the video. so if someone clicks on the car than i can jump to another frame... now i have found some possible ways of doing this 1. Action script and flash based video interface. 2. directshow Now , action script seems a very nice solution but to create flash movies one would need proper flash creating tools(this is my assumption). directshow is very tedious and in any case not supported now , so i just want to know , if there is any other way of doing this, and is there any way of creating some flash based tool for this !!!!

Advertisement
How you design the end-user interface here is secondary, so is the player and codec.

How will you define these regions? Draw an outline for every frame, 24/25/29 frames per second, for 5 minute video?

Various extensions to MPEG standard allow definition of meta-data, tied to (possibly) auto-extracted content. This is quite convenient, since MPEG performs feature extraction already.

Some high-end authoring packages contain tools that allow tracking of features between frames, but as far as I know, all those fall into professional grade, which may affect the cost.

Further considerations include the codec itself. Streaming or high-compression codecs allow jumping only to key frames, and these key frames may depend on content, and appear only once every few seconds, perhaps even minutes.

hey thanks for the reply !

I am making a project where i have to create a tool which can create clickable regions on videos , when one click on a particular region in a particular frame it should jump to some specified frame...

i have about 1 month to complete it :) and i have never worked with videos ...
i have started reading on mpeg-7
meanwhile will it be a good idea to have a backup plan ready with something like quicktime , someone told me i can achieve regions with QUICKTIME pro ...

From what you're saying I would save the region data in a seperate file. Hence which codec and which library is playing the video is entirely secondary. If you want this tool to run in a browser then flash seems like a great choice to me. You don't need any major tools, just download the free flex sdk and get FlashDevelop for free. Or if you have money to spend you could get the FlexBuilder.

If you want to create a non web application I suggest using something else. I dont see why you are restricted to DirectShow. Actually I wouldnt use directshow since your project doesnt seem to need a lot of video tools at all, from what youve explained.

I'd look into C#, Ive never done anything involving videos with C# but Im pretty sure there is a simple way to play back videos. C# is great with user interfaces and it seems like a good choice.

If you need total cross platform capabilities (I knw there is Mono) then perhaps Java? There is a java media library that can be downloaded separatly, I forgot what the name is though but it can definately work with videos.

Even if your project requires some form of segmentation or feature tracking to automatically find regions then all you really need is individual frame data and Im pretty sure this can be done without DirectShow, although Im not too familiar with its feature set.

-CProgrammer

[Edited by - CProgrammer on August 1, 2008 4:30:47 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!