A choice between studying and working

Started by
12 comments, last by Giedrius 15 years, 8 months ago
A little late to this thread, but... I graduated 8 years ago. Those in my class that managed to work and study have better careers than those that decided to focus on getting their degrees. You learn how to spend your time better when you don't have much of it.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by frob
Since you just got the job, ask if they will be flexible and let you go to school at the same time. Working part time for a few years and getting the degree is a great option.
I agree. You could explain to the company that you would like to continue your education. Where I once worked, one guy did this, going into university one or two days a week.

The benefits are:

1)You get paid a salary, which makes studying less difficult
2)You get a degree, which will look good on your CV when you move job
3)The commitment of doing all this at the same time looks impressive since most people don't. It can make you stand out and make you sound interesting in interviews.

Quote:Original post by Giedrius
One more thing against chosing the university, most of the professors and lecturers are pretty old and they teach using very conservative and old methodology.

Erm, how do you know this, if you haven't followed their courses yet? (Ok, figuring out that they're old is one thing, but knowing *what* (and how) they teach too?) Ok, so you have friends studying there, and? They're studying there. That means they don't yet know everything the university is going to teach them, so they can't really judge this either.

In any case, most of what they teach is the same as it was 30 years ago. Complexity analysis is the same as it always was. Compilers are written much the same way as they were 30 years ago. Most of the algorithms you'll be taught are the same.
What I think your friends are realizing is not that university is irrelevant, or that the professors are old and "obsolete", but rather that computer science is not a programming degree. If that's what you expect, then everything they teach *will* seem old and dry and completely irrelevant.
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender
Erm, how do you know this, if you haven't followed their courses yet? (Ok, figuring out that they're old is one thing, but knowing *what* (and how) they teach too?) Ok, so you have friends studying there, and? They're studying there. That means they don't yet know everything the university is going to teach them, so they can't really judge this either.

There was some research conducted about the quality of studying in Lithuanian colleges and universities by some independent party. It stated that the best place to study, with the most perspectives, was where the lecturers were the youngest. Though I can't find the link to it right now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement