• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
WaterCrane

Alt Gr

This topic is 3749 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm sure a great many of us have had to contend with this nuisance of a key. Is there a way to determine (in Windows) if the 'Alt Gr' key is down, without the same function returning "True" or whatever for the 'Left Control' key? I could tell it to ignore the 'Left Control' key if the 'Alt Gr' key is down, but that causes problems if both keys are actually physically down. All of the API functions I have tried so far cannot seem to override the Ctrl+Alt behaviour of 'Alt Gr'.

Advertisement
Is there seriously no way around this (except via DirectInput)? If so, I am tempted to make it erroneous to assign Alt-Gr to a game function, much like the Esc key (reserved for bringing up an in-game menu to cancel the game in progress).

This key isn't present on a lot of keyboards. How many modifiers do you really need, anyway?

Quote:
Original post by Zahlman
This key isn't present on a lot of keyboards. How many modifiers do you really need, anyway?
Alt Gr is used for symbols and accented characters in the UK layout (eg Alt Gr+e=é, Alt Gr+^ is the dead key for circumflex, Alt Gr+`=¦).

It appears like Windows translates Alt Gr into Alt+Ctrl before it gets to you, and I can't see any way around this, I'm afraid,

Quote:
Original post by benryves
Alt Gr is used for symbols and accented characters in the UK layout (eg Alt Gr+e=é, Alt Gr+^ is the dead key for circumflex, Alt Gr+`=¦).

It's actually present on most (all ?) European keyboard layouts. And yes, Windows is handling it in a very strange way (and so does Linux, btw). I don't remember the specifics when I tried to use it as an independent modifier key a few years ago, but my conclusion was to leave it alone. You still have Shift, Ctrl, Alt and possibly Win, which should be plenty.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!