• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sneaky_squirrel

Newbie looking to making games

This topic is 3669 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I am young and might as well start out early on what I wanna do ;p . I am pretty much interested in game development, but I pretty much have to basically learn to code, I was advised to try out Java, I know very little of Java, since it is so complicated. Basically I am looking to go in the right direction by learning basic coding, so I am wondering should I continue to try to learn Java or switch to the C++ language? Thanks for your support.

Advertisement

The usual advice here is to "stick with it". But if you are really having difficulty with Java that is not surprising - it is not a very intuitive language for a beginner. Neither is C++ for that matter. The general consensus among the top programmers on this forum is to go with either C# or Python. C# will be more familiar to someone with Java experience, but you said you know very little of it anyway so I would also recommend checking out Python. Python has a different structural syntax involving indentation which turns some people off, but I personally find it to be a very intuitive and expressive language great for learning programming concepts. Both C# and Python are powerful enough that you can stick with it all the way from simple text programs to complex graphical games. You will probably eventually learn C++, but there is no need to start with it and it will just slow you down at this point.

Welcome to the forums, and good luck! [smile]

I would advise C++, but the majority says to not to. I started C++ at the age of ten and had no one to help me, but I turned out pretty well.

Do what feels right... or flip a coin. :]

~Maverick

Well You could always try GameMaker. Once you get good enough in it you can always then proceed to learn the scripting language they use (I heard they will start using c++ in the new verison).

edit: Umm I suggested gamemaker because it is simple to learn and at the same time you learn basic programming things like loops and stuff.

It's not a bad idea to learn two languages at once, you know. My first language was Python, but I wasn't able to do much with classes. My next language was Java. The use of classes was made instantly obvious, but I didn't really get into the depth of Java as I did Python.

What if I'd learned both Java and Python at the same time? I would learn two separate and very different code philosophies and be able to integrate them. I think this might have been the best rout.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!