Combining different types of clouds

Started by
2 comments, last by PKLoki 15 years, 8 months ago
Dear All, I understand there are several different types of clouds, and I can render several of them in a more or less satisfactory maner. My question is, how should I combine them? My observation would be that the fatter ones like cumulus clouds appear more frequently near the bottom, while clouds like altocumulus and cirrocumulus appear higher up. Would I get visually pleasing results rendering "layers" of clouds? For example, a cumulus cloud layer, then an alto cumulus and then a cirrocumulus? Has anyone tried this? Regards, Jesse
Advertisement
A good idea would be to look out the window and see wich types of clods are usually together. :D
Now i am seeing nimbocomulus, stratus and some kind of cirrus, sorry, i am not an expert in weather... Indeed, here, in hungary, cirrus is almpost always present (the thin clouds at high altitudes), and all the stuff is below it.
-----------------------------------"After you finish the first 90% of a project, you have to finish the other 90%." - Michael Abrashstickman.hu <=my game (please tell me your opinion about it)
Im no expert with this either, but I can tell you fairly confidently that to get it looking decent, a good step would be to take arial perspective / atmospheric scattering (from the cloud to the eye) into account. I know thats not exactly related to clouds, but it really helps blend things in outdoor scenes nicely (wether they are clouds or not)

By doing this with clouds in particular, cirrus clouds that are higher in the atmosphere will be more saturated with a blue color than the cumulus clouds closer to the ground, which will help them blend together nicely

hope that helps
-chris
Different cloud types occur at different altitudes, so rendering in layers makes sense. It's also the case that lower altitude clouds tend to show much more dynamic behaviour than high altitude clouds so you might be able to render the highest layer(s) to a texture and have it static across many frames rather than dynamically modeling those clouds.

Visit http://www.mugsgames.com

Stroids, a retro style mini-game for Windows PC. http://barryskellern.itch.io/stroids

Mugs Games on Twitter: [twitter]MugsGames[/twitter] and Facebook: www.facebook.com/mugsgames

Me on Twitter [twitter]BarrySkellern[/twitter]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement