Targetting the latest DirectX 9.0c SDK?

Started by
2 comments, last by Namethatnobodyelsetook 15 years, 8 months ago
Hi guys, I am going to make my own simple DirectX game. I am using DirectX 9.0c is because Direct3D 9.0 has the wider audience base than OpenGL 2.0 though I am more familiar with OpenGL. I hope this will not degrade into a D3D versus OpenGL topic because I have made up my mind on Direct3D 9.0c. I got a question to ask because I heard a rumour that if I use the latest DirectX 9.0c SDK, not DirectX 10 SDK, my DX application cannot be run on users' PC even though the users already has DirectX 9.0c if it is an 'older' DirectX 9.0c. Is this rumour true? If it is true, then which older DirectX SDK should I download? Or should I use C# and XNA? Thanks for your replies! And TGIF, have a nice weekend!
Advertisement
FYI, you can redistribute support for whatever package you're using. Take a look at 'redistribution' in the SDK.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

I want to prevent any need for user to install any prerequisite software to run my software and to make my downloads smaller without having the DX redistributives.
Newer versions of DX9.0c have a different d3dx dll for each release (every 2nd month). Users will need the appropriate DLL, which you cannot ship by itself (against the D3D license agreement).

You can:

1. Attempt to strip down the redistributable package to be as small as possible.

2. Provide a link to the D3D web installer. This will check which DLLs they have, and download everything they don't have (whether they need it or not).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement