.ccz in game development help PLEASE!!!

Started by
9 comments, last by bittermace 15 years, 8 months ago
hi im new to this and i was woundering if someone could help me out please? i was just woundering if someone could help me by lettin me know Relating to game development, what is a ‘.CCZ’ file?
Advertisement
It has no standardized, common meaning related to game development. It's likely a custom file format used by a particular game or game engine, and you're unlikely to find third-party tools for viewing or editing it. Why do you ask?
Sounds like it's probably a proprietary data format. Where are you getting these ccz files from?
im applying to work as a games tester at ROckstar games and they sent me a questionaire and that was one of the questions, my initial thought was that it was a file name made up by the company for internal use as not to cause susspicion for people outside the company to be looking for such a file extension...sortof a fail safe system if that makes any sense ?
That's an odd sort of question for a job interview, a quick google search turned up this

http://www.programmerstalk.net/thread509.html
you think thats strange, the last question was wrote in webdings and ended up being "how many cadburys creme eggs could you eat in 15 minutes?" crazy rockstar ay?lol

yea i saw that thread before but was the only one of its kind, wasnt sure wether or not to trust it lol
Google now shows this thread as the top result for "ccz file extension" ;P which is not very helpful...

I guess you'll have to go with "a zipped (compressed) control, command, configuration, or file manifest"
I can eat 22 cadburys creme eggs in 15 minutes, thank you very much.

In context to that question, maybe Rockstar is playing another a practical joke on you. I'd write "My dry cleaner says it's used update prices."

On the other hand, it could be something real that they won't berate you for not knowing. It could be a test to see if you'll lie by saying "Oh, not that CCZ. I always use those CCZ's. I practically built a whole game on CCZ's!" If this is true, admitting you found the answer on Google would be good.

And, maybe you really SHOULD know it to work there. Maybe you don't have the background to work there. If this is true, it would be best not to say you had to Google it.

My message is simple: Don't sweat it. What will happen will happen. Plan for what will and what won't, making no assumptions on either.

Just in case I'm wrong: what was the EXACT wording of the question?
Perhaps they're trying to see if YOU can find out what's bogus and what's not?
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
Found this googling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Computing#Relating_to_game_development.2C_what_is_a_.E2.80.98.CCZ.E2.80.99_file.3F

The interesting bit is "Can anyone help me with this question please? All I know from a forum is that its a smaller version of a .cc file and I dont know what a .cc file is either. Thanks.
I guess .ccz means it's a .cc compressed with gzip (.tar.gz -> .tgz and .svg.gz -> .svgz). FILExt lists many uses for .cc, and this says it's often used for C++ source code, but gzipping it would be a little unusual... --grawity"

Googling for "cc file extension" then provides a lot of results, I didn't check many of them but the couple I did seem to agree that it's some sort of source code file extension.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=yrR&q=cc+file+extension&btnG=Search

I don't know how reliable that is, but I hope it helps.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement