• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Telastyn

Unity Project hosting

This topic is 3727 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This has been asked before, but I went through the options there and none are completely fantastic (and my requirements are slightly different). I'm rather ashamed to admit that none of my personal projects have gotten to the point of release. Until now that is, somewhat just to get the monkey off my back. The problem is that the prevalent hosting sites (sourceforge, google code) are OSI licenses only. And while I might be coerced into making the project itself available at this point under a BSD style license, its non-public dependencies cannot. Might not be a big deal to mix them or host the non-OSS stuff, but legal stuff is one point where you (well, I really) won't mess around. Plus these sites are centered around collaboration needed for OSS stuff. I don't particularly need that at this point. I just want a project site for downloads, a bug tracker, and maybe a wiki or forum. I could set that up myself, but I've been a sys-admin too long. That stuff is tedious, annoying, and will require at least a little upkeep. Recreation time I'd rather spend... recreating. I don't need much fancy or custom. Anyways, bullet points for suggestions: - Allows closed source; non-commercial requirement acceptable; OSI only if everything else is great. - Free is ideal, cheap is acceptable if everything else is great. - Easy to setup, works out of the box. - Good admin tools are big bonus. - non-trivial storage (50+ mb) - non-trivial bandwidth (5+ gb/m) - un-sucky bug tracker out of the box (RT is okay, bugzilla is okay) - A wiki out of the box would be nice. - Forums out of the box would be nice; nothing fancy, sub-forums is the only thing I can think of off hand that's a feature I desire. - Mercurial support is preferable, but CVS/SVN is acceptable. And of course, if you can correct some of my ignorances; that's great too.

Advertisement
I looked into this recently as well.

We ended up paying for Dreamhost. We're only just getting set up and I didn't organise the account, so all I know is that we've got HTTP, SVN, 500GB Disk Space and 5TB Bandwith. No pre-installed Wiki or Forums AFAIK though.

Quote:
Original post by mfawcett
Assembla

Hey, that looks pretty good. No forums, but a chat. And all the other stuff seems there and snazzy. I think most things a forum would be useful for could be split between a chat and a wiki. Thanks! I'll look closer tomorrow when I've time.

Well, it has something called Messages. It's basically a single forum with correct threading and stuff. I looked through their Tour page and it's not mentioned, so I'm not sure how they expect people to know that without first signing up :-P

I've been extremely happy with the services so far. The lead developer is quite responsive to bug reports (nothing major, sorting posts by time in the forums was buggy for a while).

My project is hosted at assembla too and I'm happy so far.
I have set the project security to private so only team members can access the SVN.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!