FSM classics

Started by
6 comments, last by JorenJoestar 15 years, 8 months ago
Is there anyone who can recommend some classical FSM books? Thanks. -Tigerass
Advertisement
I don't know any entire books about FSMs... I don't think you could write an entire book about FSMs. Usually they are completely explained in one chapter. There's not a lot to say about them. And, with that in mind, any AI book will likely cover them.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Do you mean strictly related to the ones used in games or in general, everyday software? There's an abundance of books that is theory related, less so for writing actual "automaton software" since it's quite easy to derive from the theory. At least that is what I have concluded.

Two fairly classical ones:They are more finite state automaton and complexity theory. Finite state machines, like used in constructing mission critical software, are then more like reactive and dynamic systems in traditional computer science.
---Sudet ulvovat - karavaani kulkee
If it's games your particularly interested in, Ian Millington's book "Artificial Intelligence for Games" also contains nice information on the use of FSMs in game AI.

-Raven
Thank you all, it really gave me a great help.

The AI Game Programming Wisdom books had articles on building FSMs using C/C++ macros. The structure of FSMs done in a high level langauges which is expanded (via them really being C Macros) to source code that would be compiled to native code. I recall there was another article where that author improved it into a simultaneus running FSM sytstem.
--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact
It was actually the series editor, Steve Rabin, that wrote those. It appeared in AI Wisdom 1. The following section extended the FSM class via messaging. The structure is that there is a FSM class that your agent class can inherit from. Tehcnically, it's not very complex. Stylistically, it is quite slick in that it makes things fairly readable. All you have to worry about is dropping a new state into your object, define what happens on enter, update and exit and then toss in your transition logic.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

In general I can suggest this book:

http://www.wordware.com/files/ai/

that contains also a finite state machine example scripted and only coded!

Also try "AI Game Engine Programming", it contains a very clean explanation of Finite State Machine and some other examples!

This is a small tutorial:

http://www.ai-junkie.com/architecture/state_driven/tut_state1.html
---------------------------------------http://badfoolprototype.blogspot.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement