• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Punk Designer

TBS - Balancing Units

This topic is 3736 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I'm currently in the process of designing a Turn Based 2D Strategy based on the design of the Advance Wars series. I'm designing the units first, I have of course thought through all the rest, I have many ideas bouncing around, but I like to start with the fun bit (for me) which is unit design. To this comes my question, I wish to create some kind of balancing system so as I go along I can fill out Health, Damage, movement, etc. But my technical knowledge is limited in this field. So I ask you guys, I need a well thought out and balanced system for movement, attacks, health, etc. Also on a different question, I have some special units that have special parameters, For example a "flame team" when getting attacked has a 1 in 5 chance of a bullet hitting the fuel tank and the flame team dying instantly from the explosion. But I’m finding it really hard to come up with down sides to some super units, for example "S.A.S soldier" He is not really all that special, he just happens to be very skilled, can any one think of a down side to normal yet special units or should I just put it as heavy infantry and use my imagination more. Below is an example of the form I fill out to create a unit, it's pretty simple, but as well as figuring out a balanced system, is there anything, from a technical or even design side that i have missed out? I really would appreciate the help. UnitID - FFS1 Name - Freedom Fighter VisDesc - Black male, wearing a white shirt, brown/dark trousers and shoes. mean look on face and an AK-47 in hand. Basic Human. Fighting Image - Grit teeth, AK spitting bullets out and the gun's nozzle goes up to 45% slowly then he stops firing. Win Image - Lifts the AK up with one hand and fires a shot. Death Image - Standard dropping to the floor dead. InGameDesc - Rebel Forces Calling themselves "The Freedom Front" conscript men of all ages and thrust a AK-47 into their hands, if they make it through their first battle then they are given a cap, making them a soldier, these men don't fight for any flag, they fight to survive. Type - Light Infantry. Cheers Guys and Girls.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Punk Designer
To this comes my question, I wish to create some kind of balancing system so as I go along I can fill out Health, Damage, movement, etc. But my technical knowledge is limited in this field. So I ask you guys, I need a well thought out and balanced system for movement, attacks, health, etc.

Playtesting, playtesting, playtesting.

Quote:
Also on a different question, I have some special units that have special
parameters, For example a "flame team" when getting attacked has a 1 in 5 chance of a bullet hitting the fuel tank and the flame team dying instantly from the explosion. But I’m finding it really hard to come up with down sides to some super units, for example "S.A.S soldier" He is not really all that special, he just happens to be very skilled, can any one think of a down side to normal yet special units or should I just put it as heavy infantry and use my imagination more.

Why not make the unit more expensive? This means that it'll be useful only during the later stages of the game - having a single strong unit out there means that you're easily outflanked. A S.A.S. trooper sounds like a good sabotaging and covert-ops unit (hide in normal terrain when not moving?).

Quote:
Below is an example of the form I fill out to create a unit, it's pretty simple, but as well as figuring out a balanced system, is there anything, from a technical or even design side that i have missed out? I really would appreciate the help.

What role they play, what special characteristics they have. For example, in Advance Wars, infantry were the only units capable of conquering assets. They could also travel across mountains and rivers. Their role was mostly anti-infantry, light defense and asset capturing. The mechs were anti-tank.
Besides that, their cost, movement information, armour, health, ammunition, weapon type... a lot of stuff is missing. Of course, these values need to be tweaked after playtesting, but some rough values up-front would give a fair indication of the units intention.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!