Problem installing Visual C++ 2008

Started by
4 comments, last by Barrow Boy 15 years, 8 months ago
I'm trying to download/install the 2008 edition of Microsoft's Visual C++ Express Edition, and when I run the installation I invariably get a setup error and the installation fails. This happens after the download portion, but in the middle of the .NET Framework installation. I then tried to install .NET all by itself and got the same problem. I'd like to know if the .NET Framework is absolutely necessary to use Visual C++ and, if it isn't, is there any way to install ONLY Visual C++ without all the extra things the setup has? (I don't have any other editions of MS Visual C++ on my computer, or any visual studio programs.)
Advertisement
yes it is necessary. Did you try installing just visual studio? I believe there is a checkbox for the .net framework. One thing you can try if that doesnt work is to remove ALL of the .net installations and patches from add/remove programs. Then run the installer.
No, how do you install just Visual Studio? Could I have the link?

When I try to remove the .NETs from Add/Remove Programs, it says it can't find the original installer package (.msi file) or something like that. I can't remove any of them from computer. I don't think I can just hit delete and get rid of them because some error pops up.

[Edited by - Barrow Boy on August 2, 2008 1:50:17 PM]
I've been working on the problem some and have come to no answer, so I was wondering what would happen if I removed the .NET framework from the computer's registry so I could try starting anew? Would this cause any catastrophic events or mess up any other programs, etc? Also, I'd need the registry code, so if there's a way to find that it would be nice to know.
So it sounds like a borked .NET environment on your computer, which is very annoying, and should be resolved (since other .NET dependent programs may not run).

Removing the .NET frameworks completely and reinstalling automatically via Visual Studio is a good idea, but you shouldn’t do it through manual fiddling. If the Add/Remove method doesn’t work, look around for .NET removal tools and blog posts on dealing with the issue. For example: this post.
Thanks for the link! I got it installed, and it seems to be working properly now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement