Possible to copywrite game concepts before making game?

Started by
32 comments, last by Omid Ghavami 15 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper
Omid and Splin, you guys should simply not reply to legal questions. That would be much better than giving the very bad advice you've given the OP here.

Well, that would be why I did talk about legality except for the name thing. If you want to call me out on that, fine. But do you really negate the idea that having a game idea that is unthinkable to any but that one person (and, I believe creative people are capable of such phenomenon) it's likely (plossible but not with good chances) to get randomly thought up by another person and made before the original thinker could put it in physical form?

It's more an argument of statistics than law. It's like asking if I flee from beaches because a shark might attack me while knowing that millions of people go to beaches each year and only 60 might get attacked by a shark.

And why is it that, on several occasions, I've seen you post that someone's wrong and not say why until someone asks? It just seems unhelpful.

Quote:Original post by d000hg
I think these things depend on the context. You could have a story with a character called Harry Potter if it was a crime drama, but I guess if it were based in a magical universe you'd get in trouble.

So, no one would sue over the tademark? I can't exactly call the main character of my book Mickey Mouse, can I?

As noted, I'm not a lawyer. I'm not being sarcastic, I'm seriously interested.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Splinter of Chaos
I think these things depend on the context. You could have a story with a character called Harry Potter if it was a crime drama, but I guess if it were based in a magical universe you'd get in trouble.

So, no one would sue over the tademark? I can't exactly call the main character of my book Mickey Mouse, can I?
Mickey Mouse isn't a normal name. But there must be thousands of real people called Harry Potter.

"spli" wrote:
>on several occasions, I've seen you post that someone's wrong and not say why until someone asks? It just seems unhelpful.

It's not my concern to educate responders about where they've gone off track so they can give OPs better advice next time - my intent is solely to help posters when they ask a question. What's unhelpful is to go off on a completely unrelated discussion of trademark when the OP's question is about copyright. Someone who reads a legal question and doesn't know the right answer ought to just stay silent.

I understand the impulse to offer guesses (as omid did) or to just jump in and chat on unrelated matters. But legal questions are a special category. Someone who gets bad programming advice will just get a bug. But someone who gets bad legal advice can wind up in court or even in jail.

When someone has a legal question, it's best to jump in only if you know the answer or at least have a useful example to add. On this forum in particular, we have people experienced in legal matters (and one soon-to-be-lawyer) -- so why not just let those people answer the questions.

>on several occasions

I can only recall one time before this. More often than I tell legal question responders that they're wrong, I chide OPs for asking legal questions in a forum at all. Guys like omid see no problem with offering guesses, no matter what kind of damage wrong answers might cause for OPs. So if someone's going to ask a legal question in a forum, he should do so fully aware that he could get uninformed or confusing or just plain bad advice - and he should be prepared to weed it out, and if appropriate, get the right advice from an attorney.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

"spli" wrote:
>on several occasions, I've seen you post that someone's wrong and not say why until someone asks? It just seems unhelpful.

It's not my concern to educate responders about where they've gone off track so they can give OPs better advice next time - my intent is solely to help posters when they ask a question.

But, if I were the OP and someone told me their opinion and another told me that opinion was bad, but offered no reasoning, I'd follow the one who rationalized their point. I wouldn't trust a person who believed another's opinion without rationalization.

Quote:But someone who gets bad legal advice can wind up in court or even in jail.

Right. That's why I wouldn't respond to the LEGAL aspect of this point (I was responding only to the creative aspect, which you still haven't said why you disagree with) and I agree with you about Omid.

What's unhelpful is to go off on a completely unrelated discussion of trademark when the OP's question is about copyright.

...Right...but...

Mickey Mouse isn't a normal name. But there must be thousands of real people called Harry Potter.

Believe it or not, there are kids named Mickey, and the last name Mouse. It's happened. Does this mean no one can sue over it?

And back to the copyright issue:
Would an actual lawyer here be able to answer: is it really so written on stone? It seems to me there have been court cases that have been won on both sides of the same issue. And of coarse, they probably had all sorts of different circumstances, but do we oversimplify the matter by quoting the law and calling it a day?

(Not offering bad advice that can get someone in jail, just asking a question.)

Believe it or not, there are kids named Mickey, and the last name Mouse. It's happened. Does this mean no one can sue over it?

Would an actual lawyer here be able to answer: is it really so written on stone? It seems to me there have been court cases that have been won on both sides of the same issue. And of coarse, they probably had all sorts of different circumstances, but do we oversimplify the matter by quoting the law and calling it a day?

(Not offering bad advice that can get someone in jail, just asking a question.)

First, this is all purely educational-- nothing herein constitutes legal advice.

If we're discussing name use, that's not a copyright issue, it's a trademark issue. Harry Potter and Mickey Mouse (the names themselves) are not copyrightable. Names can't be copyrighted. They are trademarked. Trademarks designate the source of a product's origin. The Lanham Act and unfair competition laws usually govern the US Federal law re: trademark infringement-- the test is whether there is a likelihood of confusion between two marks. There are also name and likeness issues, privacy right issues, etc., but those intellectual property-like issues touch on the rights of actual individuals.

In copyright, the test employed by courts for direct infringement is twofold: First, did the alleged infringer have access to the copyrighted matter, and second, was there a substantial amount taken from the copyrighted matter to constitute an infringement.

It can go both ways on both issues (trademark or copyright, depending on the infringing use). Sometimes it's easy to determine that an infringement occurred. Sometimes there are other matters to bear in mind, such as the technology used in piracy. There is nothing simple and clear cut in the law, particularly an area of law that is forced to adapt to changes in technology.

It isn't always clear whether something is subject to copyright protection. In fact an affirmative defense to copyright infringement is that the copyright isn't valid. Invalidity is a bit difficult to prove, as holding a registered copyright creates a presumption of validity. First, the law is fairly well settled as to what is and what is not subject to copyright protection. It helps that the Copyright Act isn't exactly ambiguous as to protected subject matter. Second, the court relies on the Copyright Office to determine whether a copyright is valid. This is slightly less of an issue for trademark, as state laws also protect purely intrastate trademark uses.

The POINT here is keeping people away from having to suffer the expense of testing all of these possibilities. Recommending anything that would put the OP or other people under the delusion that it's ok to do something simply because the law isn't "clear cut" is very, very bad advice. Court is expensive. Legal fees are nothing to sneeze about. You can't get E&O Insurance coverage unless you can provide adequate assurance to the insurance provider that your product is a low risk to IP infringement litigation exposure. These are all things developers and creators of game product have to keep in mind.

Academic speculation without the adequate academic background, especially in the legal area, is both tricky and in most cases risky. Please avoid saying or suggesting anything that may mislead the people who come here for help.

[Edited by - madelelaw on August 3, 2008 8:05:35 PM]
~Mona Ibrahim
Senior associate @ IELawgroup (we are all about games) Interactive Entertainment Law Group
Quote:Original post by SplofC
Would an actual lawyer here be able to answer: is it really so written on stone? It seems to me there have been court cases that have been won on both sides of the same issue.

Is WHAT "so written on stone"? The question has become muddied.
If Mona's post answered the question, then there's no need to reply to this post.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

If there is any risk that using a trademarked name (Harry Potter, Mickey Mouse, etc.) may cause confusion in the minds of the public or may dilute the existing trademark, then you are at risk of being taken to court and found to be violating the rights of the person who owns it.

There is no certain "yes" or "no" answer--a lot of it depends on whether the trademark holder feels threatened--but in short, if you are using the name "Harry Potter" in a fictional work, I would suggest that you be ready to explain why that name is something you need to use and how, exactly, you aren't profiting from J K Rowlings IP.
If you're interested in how copyright and trademark can protect fictional characters, there's an interesting paper I read a couple of years back on this issue with comic books; the author was suggesting the introduction of a new term "copymark" to cover the dual nature of fictional characters. It was called The Spawn of Learned Hand - A Reexamination of Copyright Protection and Fictional Characters: How Distinctly Delineated Must the Story Be Told? by Gregory S. Schienk.

Here's the abstract:
Quote:
Fictional characters are the backbone of the multi-billion dollar entertainment industry. Since the early twentieth century, the owners of fictional characters have recognized that there is money to be made in derivative products featuring those characters and move swiftly to stop infringing use of those characters. Learned Hand, in passing, allowed that fictional characters could be protected through copyright law if the characters were distinctly delineated. Since then, the courts have created a piecemeal protective-strategy involving trademark and copyright law to protect fictional characters.

The Seventh Circuit in Gaiman v. McFarlane, continued using the traditional analysis, that copyrightability for a fictional character requires it to have a name and a characterization or personality portrait. However, a name cannot be copyrighted and "characterization" requires a court to make a decision regarding the creativity of a work that of a sort courts are not supposed to involve themselves in.

Because fictional characters exist in two legal worlds, copyright and trademark, the implementation of a protective scheme through copymark is suggested, the name indicative of the mark's origins. The owner of a fictional character wishing to apply for copymark protection would be required to show that the character: (1) originated in a work available for copyright registration; (2) had been in use in commerce; (3) had been in use for a minimum of five years; and (4) is famous.
You can name your kid just about anything, or change your name. If I changed my name to "Mickey Mouse" could I be sued? Perhaps I would have to keep out of certain countries but not others?!
I Really don't have much experience with this type of thing but wouldn't a end user license agreement or some other form of license distributed with his ideas and content protect the content form maul-use? probably better then copyright or trademark since it is limitation on how the content may be used? and it dictates where to who the content is owned by?
0))))))>|FritzMar>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement