• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Reegan

Moving on from console applications!

This topic is 3755 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Ive almost finished reading my book (C++ from the ground up) that covers the entire C++ language, ive just got to study the so called "advanced features" now. After i have finished the book and learnt as much as i possibly can, im going to need to learn a few API's. I was going to go with directx all the way through but ive heard that most of the components to directx have been "deprecated" and as far as i can see, the only one left that is still "supported", is Direct3D. So my question is which API's should i go with to replace each of the dead ones? lol Thanks, all advice is welcome! ~Reegan -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement
Just a word of warning. The age old 'learn C++; learn directX; make uberMMO;' order of learning is missing a few steps. Make sure you've a good grasp of the C++ standard library and program design before going straight to graphical games, or even directx. You should be able to make a few non-trivial console based apps (calculation of something non-trivial, network transfer stuff, encoding/decoding, simple mp3 player) to get that program design experience.

1) At which point did i say i was making a "uber MMO", i dont plan on making any games yet, instead i just want to toy with the API's

2)I have 3 years experiance in gamemaker and about 6 months experiance in C++
I also just got a distinction in programming at college which is the equivalent of an A*. did i not also say in my previous post that i am almost at the end of my book which covers the whole C++ language? Do i still need to grasp the the basic idea of program design after all these years?

3)I like the sound of these "non-trivial" console based apps, is there some sort of website that has tutorials for these?

Please dont assume my skill level, it is most annoying.

PS: Ive also done a small amount of win32 and direct3d programming. Can someone else please give me the anwsers im looking for?

Your going to get a somewhat biased opinion from anyone who replies (ie mines biased towards openGL ... Direct3D fails). Anyways going with Direct3d or OpenGL are not your only choices. There are many game/graphics engines out there which handle the specific api for you. You may want to look into those as well. (You will see much faster results than if you use the D3D or OGL directly). I started out with OGL, and then moved to using the SourceSDK (which uses Direct3d). I don't need to know Direct3D to use the SourceSDK, however.

To help your decision:
Comparison of Direct3D and OpenGL

List of game engines

EDIT: Usually when people say they have finished the whole book it means that they have finished learn <insert language here> in 24 hours. You did not mention that you were also taking classes at a university.

Thank you cs_student, if you are refering to libraries such as SDL, i would rather not go there, in fact i enjoy handling the "hard stuff" myself. I actually prefer the challenge and i am not bothered about how long it will take to make a game.

As for Direct3D over OpenGL, I think i would rather start with Direct3D (doesnt everything made by microsoft fail at some point? lol).

Other than a graphics API, which other API's are generally considered to be the best for specific parts of games.

I probably come across as not knowing much about API's, because i dont so please enlighten me.

Thank you!

I was actually talking about game engines like ogre3d and Irrlicht. As for getting help with direct3D (I'm not sure as I never used it), I think the usual is to download the directX SDK from here I think. If not just google it :)

What really helped me out when I was starting out, however, was getting quick help on IRC. Check out gamedev on the afterNET network. It's nice for short questions since you get very quick responses.

Hope I was of help,

cs_student

There are no set “best” APIs, which would also indicate why multiple alternatives flourish. Rather you make a decision based on a number of technical variables. Sometimes personal bias goes into it (example being the D3D vs. OpenGL split, lot of personal bias in that split).

Rather than looking for a predetermined “best set”, you figure out what you need, look at your options, eliminate the choices that don’t fit your constraints, and then stick with something suitable of the remaining set.

@cs_student: Thanks ill check it out :)

@oler1s: Ok, in order for me to pick between different API's im going to need a list of them and some details, know anywhere i could find that?

Thanks

Well, for my 0.2$;

If you are programming in windows, then just do all of your input from the message loop in win32, if you like doing the library writing bit yourself - it really isn't hard to write input handling for keyboard and mouse.

I really like FMOD for sound - it's free for noncommercial use; write a DLL wrapper for it, so that you can easily switch it out if you ever want to go commercial by just writing a replacement for your interface using another library.

No clue about networking, although I believe that most people use winsocks. But, I have no experience in that one.

I like D3D, so that's what I use for graphics.

i'm pretty sure if you google c++ game engines you'll find the list you are looking for...

hope that helps,
Mathmo

Quote:
Original post by Reegan
1) At which point did i say i was making a "uber MMO", i dont plan on making any games yet, instead i just want to toy with the API's

2)I have 3 years experiance in gamemaker and about 6 months experiance in C++
I also just got a distinction in programming at college which is the equivalent of an A*. did i not also say in my previous post that i am almost at the end of my book which covers the whole C++ language? Do i still need to grasp the the basic idea of program design after all these years?

Please dont assume my skill level, it is most annoying.

Please drop the attitude. It is most annoying.
Please don't attack people who are trying ti give you advice.
And if you don't want people to make assumptions about your skill level, make sure to tell people in your initial post what your skill level is.

Nowhere did Telastyn "assume" anything about your skill level. He warned you about a mistake that beginners often make. And he told you some things you should "make sure you've got a good grasp of".
Maybe it's just me, but his post does not seem in any way offensive to me.
So I suggest you cool down a bit, and try not to be a jerk to people who offer advice.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!