• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
soiheardyoulike

Wondering about xna and the windows aspects of it?

This topic is 3730 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I saw this in several posts and wanted to know this, I do own an xbox but get very little use out of it and mainly play pc games, all projects I do are with the pc and thats what I use normally. The thing is in most books and tutorials it is the xbox that is not only favored but most controls are dedicated to it. I understand this is very big because development on a console has never been less and easier to do but at the same time that is not my focus. I plan to use windows but the problem is it seems its mainly for the xbox and I was wondering if that is what you would reccomend for windows only applications and games, I am familiar with C# and have a very large knowledge of C++ and a smaller one of win32 so its not a concept of which language and such to learn. My goals are to work with 3d graphics in terms of loading models and I have always been curious about networking(Have a small background with c++ and win32 api). Thanks for the advice

Advertisement
I've been using XNA since the first release a year and a half ago. Yes, some of the tutorials do use the XBox controller, even for the PC examples. Although one can hook up an XBox controller to their PC, it's a bit of an annoyance for those without a controller to have to add keyboard support.

Generally speaking, development using XNA for the PC is easier since you generally don't have to worry about performance issues associated with .Net compact framework the XBox uses. Pretty much anything you can do with XNA on the XBox can be done on the PC (assuming the PC has a graphics card capable of shader model 2.0), and it rarely requires, if at all, any code changes.

From what it sounds like you're doing, XNA should be more than suitable for your needs.

I am also interested in networking and was wondering if there was a way around the live networking used? Is the other option well supported? Can you give a link if its there?

On PC you can use any networking library you'd like, you're not restricted to what comes with the XNA Framework. System.Net works just fine, or you can use something third-party if you'd like.

In fact while I'm on this topic...you can use pretty much whatever you want out of the XNA Framework on the PC. If you just want the graphics, you can just make a GraphicsDevice and hook it up to whatever you want. This is how I made my Windows Forms-based map edtior, for instance. Things like the Content Pipeline, Input classes, Audio framework and the Game class are all very optional.

There is always the SlimDX way. It's a "remake" of the abandoned Managed DirectX libraries in the DX SDK. Thus, it's more PC-centric.

Ask google!

In fact, if you want to distribute a PC game, you can't use XNA's Live functionality at all, although this might change with 3.0 as Live for Windows is free now.

Quote:
Original post by AvengerDr
There is always the SlimDX way. It's a "remake" of the abandoned Managed DirectX libraries in the DX SDK. Thus, it's more PC-centric.

Ask google!

True, but that puts you back at a lower level than the XNA framework. One of the great things about using the standard XNA Game class is that it manages your graphics device, the message loop, and the update/render cycle all for you. Truly the beauty of the XNA framework is not the simple fact of it being a managed framework, it's all the little things it helps you do in an easier way than by using DirectX (or SlimDX).

Not that SlimDX isn't great (I've used it for a couple things), but it's not entirely comparable to what the XNA framework offers.

I understand what you are saying with how much it manages the update and draw and that is very easy to use and that is the draw of it for me.

I also see what people say with alternate libraries you can use for tasks as well as networking such as system.net and lidgren library which seems good but it also seems like there are a real lack of tutorial that incorporate said other networking with xna(Other than randy walking and the system.net one on ziggyware), are there any others? I also saw on your website about the updates to 3.0 and was wondering if shader model 3 was supported(I know it is cross platform and sm 4 is not on the xbox 360).

thanks

yea sm 1, 2, and 3 are supported in xna however 4 is not because that is for DX10 and XNA does not support DX10.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!