• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
qingrui

about model formats supporting lightmap

This topic is 3607 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm going to add the good and old lightmap rendering to my engine. I remember a few years ago .X format cannot have more than one set of texcoords. But now I saw the Panda Exporter can already export more texcoord sets. So I managed to create a lightmap and exported it to .X. But to my surprise, DX gives a "parse error" when loading such a .X file. Does this mean that DX does not support .X file with more texcoord set? If so, I have to consider alternatives. 1) The first option is the old walkaround, that is, use two .X file for the same model, so that I can have two sets of texcoords. 2) The second option is to use some other format. I'd like to keep my engine as simple as possible, so the new format should be simple to support. And it should be a popular format. However, I'm not sure which format support lightmap. Any suggestions? 3) The last option is writing my own format and import from COLLADA. Do you know how hard it is to do that?

Advertisement
you may use format like Blitz3D (B3D), there we are enough tools to export to this format... this format is good for lightmapping and for animation (by bones).. etc ;)

http://wiki.gamedev.net/index.php/B3D

Finally I got the X file work by some manual tweaking. Anyway, the X format seems not good for long term. I will have a look at B3D. Thanks.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!