• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Spinewire

C++ Multiple Inheritance and Method Parameters (**SOLVED**)

This topic is 3666 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone, I'm having trouble with, specifically, collision detection. I want to have my entities capable of handling collisions with specific types of other entities by overloading my "Collides" method with several methods that each take a different class's pointer as their parameter. I'm having a little trouble, though. This is a skeleton overview of my code's entity class structure.
class Entity
{
   // Entity stuff here
};

class MovingEntity : virtual public Entity
{
   // Stuff here for moving entities
};

class TemporaryEntity : virtual public Entity
{
   // Stuff here for entities that only last for a timer
};

class DirectedEntity : virtual public Entity
{
   // Stuff here for entities with a facing and angle direction
};

class Spaceship : virtual public MovingEntity, virtual public DirectedEntity
{
public:
   // Constructor, destructor, etc...

void Collides( Entity *pOther )
   {
      // Catch-all, doesn't do anything
   }

void Collides( Projectile *pOther )
   {
      // Should trigger when the other object is a projectile, and be able to access projectile-specific methods
   }
};

class Projectile : virtual public MovingEntity, virtual public TemporaryEntity
{
public:
   // Constructor, destructor, etc.

{
   }

void Collides( Ship *pOther )
   {
      // Should trigger when the other object is a ship, and be able to access ship-specific methods
   }
};

Now, the only time 'Collides' will ever be called, is when it's called by the Entity Manager, which only maintains all of the entities in a std::list<Entity *>, so naturally it calls all of the Collides() methods with a parameter of type Entity*, even though they -may- be Ship* or Projectile*. Is there any way to ensure that these calls always pick the type's farthest-down inheritance before falling back to the catch-all? I'm not really familiar with boost or concepts like reinterpret_cast, but I have a feeling that that my answer lies down that road. Thanks for any help! [Edited by - Spinewire on August 2, 2008 9:33:55 PM]

Advertisement
The classic "solution" to this sort of problem centers around an idea called "double dispatch". I put "solution" in quotes because often the real solution doesn't use double dispatch, as it can be a real pain to maintain. Do a gamedev search on "double dispatch" and quite a few good threads come up (most of them relating to collision detection as well).

In C++, method calls are polymorphic only for the this pointer, not for the parameters. You can use the visitor pattern or some sort of (type,type)->(function pointer) map.

class Entity
{
// Entity stuff here
};

class MovingEntity : virtual public Entity
{
// Stuff here for moving entities
};

class TemporaryEntity : virtual public Entity
{
// Stuff here for entities that only last for a timer
};

class DirectedEntity : virtual public Entity
{
// Stuff here for entities with a facing and angle direction
};

class Spaceship : virtual public MovingEntity, virtual public DirectedEntity
{
public:
// Constructor, destructor, etc...

{
}

void Collides( Projectile *pOther )
{
// Should trigger when the other object is a projectile, and be able to access projectile-specific methods
}
};

class Projectile : virtual public MovingEntity, virtual public TemporaryEntity
{
public:
// Constructor, destructor, etc.

{
}

void Collides( Ship *pOther )
{
// Should trigger when the other object is a ship, and be able to access ship-specific methods
}

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!