• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
wodinoneeye

A maybe not too insane idea...

This topic is 3612 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hinges on : are the assets that other people publish using Google Sketchup accessible (and thus convertable to your favorite 3d formats) to be useable for cartain types of games. This isnt a commercial use, but just a scheme to get (at least some) halfway good building/structure assets for a small project -- when most of us dont have the time to do every aspect of the game ourselves. (I just had a thought of somehow using google map data too somehow in a game...) Im still even more interested in human figures and especially animation patterns becoming freebies (I figure I need at least severel hundred different ones for what I want to do). The 'easy' tools are slow in coming (common format issues, etc..) but when its made easy we will likely be knee deep in free animation assets (human, animal, whatever...).

Advertisement
There are a number of converters out there for Google Sketchup, but you shouldn't use someone else's work without asking them. There's a guide here that seems to port it to .3ds, which is convertible to anything you can think of.
http://forums.devshed.com/game-development-141/converting-sketchup-models-to-3dst-519710.html

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!