• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
d000hg

[VC++ 2008] Weird errors with this pointer

This topic is 3699 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

class OtherClass;

class MyClass
{
private:
 OtherClass *mObj;
public:
 MyClass(OtherClass *pObj) : mObj(pObj)
 {
 }
};

class OtherClass
{
public:
 MyClass *create()
 {
  return new MyClass(this);
 }
};

This kind of thing used to work back on older compilers, but in VC++ 2008 I get errors saying this can't be converted to the right type. Do I need to do some ugly casting? Is there a special rule about the type of a this pointer? edit: fixed a typo. [Edited by - d000hg on August 3, 2008 10:08:50 AM]

Advertisement
Quote:
  return new MyClass(this);

What is that `new' doing there? Are you trying to return an object or a pointer?

"MyClass(this)" should be OK, I think. The this pointer is always of type "Type* const", but the compiler should cast the const implicitly away (as the pointer is passed by value).

As alvaro said, the type of "new MyClass(this)" is MyClass*, not MyClass. Are you sure the compiler isn't complaining about that?

Quote:
Original post by Porthos
The this pointer is always of type "Type* const"

Well, it's const only in const methods.

Quote:
Original post by Porthos
"MyClass(this)" should be OK, I think. The this pointer is always of type "Type* const", but the compiler should cast the const implicitly away (as the pointer is passed by value).

As alvaro said, the type of "new MyClass(this)" is MyClass*, not MyClass. Are you sure the compiler isn't complaining about that?
Just a typo, I fixed it. This isn't the real example, since I can't publicly post that.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!