Designing for Dynamic Experiences (non MMO)

Started by
11 comments, last by AngleWyrm 15 years, 8 months ago
Why not make terrain effect combat?

If tile based, simply give each tile properties like traction and steepness, and elevation.
High-ground attacks are more effective. Melee attacks are best made on flat, solid ground. Magic attacks improve when nearby a particular element? Running speed increases on a downhill slope, and decreases on an uphill slope.

This might make two identical encounters a rather different fight, even if they happen only a few yards from eachother.
Advertisement
Havn't read through all the comments... yet, but I wanted I thought that "Depths-of-Peril" was worth looking at in regards to dynamic quests and semi-emergent game play.

It is somewhat a diablo clone, but there are competing adventures who may complete quests before you and you will not be able to do them yourself. All the quests (other than the initial tutorial) are random.

There are random events happening as well, for example: a unique monster may spawn in some location, and a NPC will give a corresponding quest to deal with him. BUT if no one does the quest in a timely fashion the monster will grow in power - eventually attacking the town. The game also has disease that can effect towns people and if no one bothers to get the cure they may die- and all of that NPC's quests will be lost. I've only played through the demo a few times, but it has a lot of the elements that we are talking about here.
Quote:Original post by Daaark
A thief completing a mission to steal some art in one town might trigger a counter quest to go and steal it back later.

Age of Conan had a moment like this in the first act/island, where I was a secret agent for the other side.

For a brief while there, it seemed like it would come to a head with me slowly becoming a double agent, and then at some penultimate confrontation I would have to choose my side. But ingeniously, the developers had coincidental forces at play, and the situation was quite entertaining for a good bit of the first island story arc.
--"I'm not at home right now, but" = lights on, but no ones home

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement