• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Books dedicated to discussion of scalability methodology/approaches

This topic is 3455 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with a few titles that place emphasis on approaches to developing highly scalable server solutions (approaches to clustering and the like). It'd be great if these books contained in-depth studies/explanations of methodologies applied to: server -> server events/communication (ie, a player does something on their server that needs to be visible to a user on a map portion handled by an adjacent server) fault tolerance other things such as distribution of servers (including things such as the rearrangement of map areas when a lot of users are in one section). Thanks. :) EDIT: It'd be best if the books were predominately applicable to the development of MMORPGs. [Edited by - Lothy on August 2, 2008 11:35:46 PM]

Advertisement
I don't have any titles to suggest, but I advise you don't look for books focusing on games/MMORPGS. I would personally be dubious of any "how to make a MMORPG" book.

Sounds like a typical enterprisey wish and there's plenty of literature on building high-availability and fault tolerant systems. They aren't game specific, though, and probably deal much more with transactions that games would. Something like MES systems (Manufacturing Execution Systems) could be close to games.

You could check .NET StockTrader Sample Application to see how to build a scalable, fault-tolerant system. Otherwise your question is very broad in nature and even Amazon search returns only a few books related on MMO games.

Most systems out there, even the ones that call themselves "low latency," aren't actually low latency enough for an MMO game with interactions like gunfire, or jumping. When you have 5,000 actors, each of which wants 33 millisecond latency on interactions, the traditional methods (.NET, J2EE, or even Sun Game Server "Darkstar") don't suffice.

We have built one such system, using one possible approach, and dwe ocument a bit of what we do in some publicly available whitepapers on our site: http://www.forterrainc.com/ (note that some of our technology is under patent protection or patent pending). It is important to understand that developing such a system from scratch costs a whole lot of money. You might be better off licensing some technology from us, or another vendor on the market.

Quote:
Original post by hplus0603
Most systems out there, even the ones that call themselves "low latency," aren't actually low latency enough for an MMO game with interactions like gunfire, or jumping. When you have 5,000 actors, each of which wants 33 millisecond latency on interactions, the traditional methods (.NET, J2EE, or even Sun Game Server "Darkstar") don't suffice.

We have built one such system, using one possible approach, and dwe ocument a bit of what we do in some publicly available whitepapers on our site: http://www.forterrainc.com/ (note that some of our technology is under patent protection or patent pending). It is important to understand that developing such a system from scratch costs a whole lot of money. You might be better off licensing some technology from us, or another vendor on the market.

I'm not looking to buy anything. I'm more or less trying to put a software portfolio together for future employment.
With that said, I was just interested in literature with a focus on various approaches so I could write my own demo server software that demonstrated use and understanding of various approaches to building highly scalable and fault-tolerant software.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement