• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SquareDanceSteve

Interactive Grass (Titan Quest)

This topic is 3786 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I haven't started on my own implementation of interactive grass yet. I'm wondering if anyone else has implemented interactive grass like the grass in Titan Quest and if so, could they point me in the right direction?

Advertisement
For those of use who haven't played it, can you explain what makes it special? Is it the way it looks or the way it behaves? You say 'interactive', so I guess it gets pushed out of the way as the player walks past or something?

I think the last couple of GPU Gems books (2&3) have both covered grass rendering, and I also came across this paper recently: Instant Animated Grass

I had to run through a dozen videos or so, this video looks like like it's from some sort of mod for titan quest. You can see the grass movement pretty well when the scorpion surprises the player.

I think it's just a position argument passed to a shader. All the grass meshes after that bend away into the opposite direction of whatever position they have that is disturbing them.

You can also do wind like this too, except it blows in the same direction.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!