SIGGRAPH OpenGL BOF - 8/13

Started by
12 comments, last by V-man 15 years, 8 months ago
http://opengl3.org/ http://www.khronos.org/news/events/detail/siggraph_2008_los_angeles_california/ Wednesday August 13th 6pm - 8pm "OpenGL 3.0 Specification Overview" - yay, finally. Anyone going ?
Advertisement
Yea!
!! good !!
Quote:
OpenGL 3.0 Specification Overview
OpenGL hardware and driver plans - AMD, Intel, NVIDIA
Developer's perspective on OpenGL 3.0

You know I'd figure there'd be more excitement over this not only because they stopped flinging their poo at each other to come up with the spec, but they also seem to have hit the ground running with hardware support.

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

Trust me I want to go, but can't make it... :(

No matter I will be there in mind and spirit!
So late..but still good
Quote:Original post by Lazy Foo
Quote:
OpenGL 3.0 Specification Overview
Developer's perspective on OpenGL 3.0

You know I'd figure there'd be more excitement over this not only because they stopped flinging their poo at each other to come up with the spec, but they also seem to have hit the ground running with hardware support.

There was excitement... about a year ago. A year of silence makes for alot of very jaded people who, frankly, won't believe it until they see it.

The word "plans" in that doesn't really imply they are going to hit the ground running with drivers either.

A year ago I would have been excited, now I just expect them to deliver and wonder if they are going to deliver enough.
Will GameDev cover all the OpenGL BOF news/announcements this year - especially the apologies? Last years BOF coverage was pretty much non-existant.
Quote:

I can picture the discussion right now:

"What are your plans concerning upcoming driver support for OpenGL 3.0 ?"

NVidia: "We're already done. Here's the MSI installer file." *flings CD on table*

Intel: *yawn* OpenGL 3.0 ? Whatever. Oh for Gods sake, AMD, stop trying to poke my eye out with that pencil, will you ?!"

AMD: *puts pencil back in pocket protector* D-R-I-V-E-R ?? What's tha... AH, driver ! Yeah ! We will support it fully ! Of course ! Uhm... sometime... maybe... well, probably not right now, but... uh... what was the question again ? You know that there's a free buffet outside, do you ?

In other words, I still don't believe anything relating to OpenGL 3.0 for a second. And that won't change until I have:

1) A PDF of the full spec open on my screen (and I checked every page to make sure they aren't empty after the introduction ;)
2) A working driver installed with -
3) A demo suite compiled using the API that actually runs.
Quote:Original post by Yann L
Quote:

I can picture the discussion right now:

"What are your plans concerning upcoming driver support for OpenGL 3.0 ?"

NVidia: "We're already done. Here's the MSI installer file." *flings CD on table*

Intel: *yawn* OpenGL 3.0 ? Whatever. Oh for Gods sake, AMD, stop trying to poke my eye out with that pencil, will you ?!"

AMD: *puts pencil back in pocket protector* D-R-I-V-E-R ?? What's tha... AH, driver ! Yeah ! We will support it fully ! Of course ! Uhm... sometime... maybe... well, probably not right now, but... uh... what was the question again ? You know that there's a free buffet outside, do you ?

In other words, I still don't believe anything relating to OpenGL 3.0 for a second. And that won't change until I have:

1) A PDF of the full spec open on my screen (and I checked every page to make sure they aren't empty after the introduction ;)
2) A working driver installed with -
3) A demo suite compiled using the API that actually runs.

And if they do, will you buy me dinner? LOL ;) But the AMD and Intel driver teams scenario is funny as all get out!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement