• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Drezard

File IO

This topic is 3667 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Need help with this code: #include <iostream> #include <fstream> using namespace std; int write(); int main() { write(); cout << "Contents written to file\n"; cin.get(); return 0; } int write() { ofstream log; log.open("log.txt", ios::ate); log << "File Opened"; log.close(); return 0; } What am i missing? I just want this code to post everytime i run it "File opened" in the file. Currently it posts it once and everytime i run the program it just has it once printed in the file. I want it to keep printing to the end of the file.... Daniel

Advertisement

log.open("log.txt", ios::ate);

You should use "source", rather than "code", for your tags to get a code block.

As to your problem, I'm not exactly certain I understand what you want to do. Do you want to keep adding a line of text to the end of the existing file each time?

If so, you probably want to use ios::app rather than ios:ate.

Try this page for a more details look at reading/writing files in C++.

Alan

Also, the board markup [something_in_here] tags all use lowercase. will display as just that.

Anyway, things can and should be made much simpler, but yeah, the basic point is that you probably want the ios::app flag instead.

#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>

using namespace std;

void write() {
ofstream("log.txt", ios::app) << "File Opened";
}

int main() {
write();
cout << "Contents written to file\n";
}

Check to see if the ofstream is successful:

ofstream log;

if ( !log.good() )
std::cout << "Not good.\n";

EDIT:
Misread the post. :|

[Edited by - _fastcall on August 3, 2008 10:58:59 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!