Shining Force II Complete Remake

Started by
6 comments, last by Daaark 15 years, 8 months ago
Hello, I decided to do a remake of Shining Force II as part of learning game programming. I love this game very much and am looking forward to duplicating the whole gome in avery aspect including storyline. This is purely out of my love for this game and for this reason I hope i dont get into any trouble. Ill only make this game and play it myself and would not publish it online, and in no way would commercially distribute it. I want to know if this would be okay, or how i can make this ok. I am not even sure if this will work because I am a beginner. Any help would be appreciated
Advertisement
It sounds like you have alot of enthusiasm for that game, but...

Take a look at the credits for Shining Force II. See how many people worked full time on it, professionals with alot of experience. Do you really want to do all that work by yourself and then not show the game online for other to play as well?

I'd suggest letting Shining Force II be a heavy inspiration for a gameof your own design, and develop that game to completion. That way, after all the work is done you'll have something you can proudly show to others without fear of Sega's lawyers sending you a cease & desist.

Good luck!

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Thanks, I guess I will. But since I wanted to focus more on programming rather than Design and Story, I thought that would work. But you have power in your words and thats the reason ill follow that advice.

But still will start with a duplicate and then modify it. After all the code will be by me only

And many wonderful people who try helping me
You could script it with Neverwinter Nights. Other people have done things like this, including recreating Diablo.

You can build all your areas and monsters with the game's easy editor, and then custom script in the behavior you want. NWScript is a lot like C.
Thank you Daark, Ill look into it.

But this is mainly a c++ programming practice in game development
If you are a beginner Id suggest something a little toned down from a full clone of a commerical game. You need to start off with something a whole lot simpler. Like tetris, or pac man. If you have already done something at that level, look tot he NES is you still want to clone something, but IMHO shining force II is much to complex.

It would take a very long time, and you would be getting not so much practise as you would trying to reverse engineer something that a few different professionals had to figure out before hand. Its simply not the best way to try and learn until you have a firm grasp of c++.
Man, I love SFII. Probably wouldn't be my choice for a first game (you might want to consider pong or tetris just to get your feet wet) but it's pretty do-able for a beginner I think. The battle mechanics are quite simple and there's nothing that's too tricky technically (on a pc that is - getting it on a Genesis was obviously much more tricky than it will be on todays machines).
I forgot to mention that the XNA site has a RPG game starter kit, with placeholder graphics, a turn based battle engine, and walking around on a world map.

Click here for screens and a video.

Learn a little C#, and you can just use the existing code here to create everything you need.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement