• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
aegrimonia

Question about what's involved to make a game ala mobsters on myspace.

This topic is 3759 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm not looking to make ANOTHER myspace web game, but their popularity really made me think that making a game more suited to my home business (a dirt racing related business) could be a good source of repeat traffic to my website. I'd like to make a SIMPLE web based text-only game somewhat like Mobsters on Myspace that really is only database driven from what i can tell. I think it would be a VERY GOOD gimmick to drive continuous traffic to my business website as people login to play the game every day. Admittedly i'm very rusty with programming, i've done C++ and database software for clients in the past (when i was 'into' programming), but i really lost the desire to do anything too major and haven't written anything but simple things in the past 10 years. I'm hoping someone can help at least point me in the right direction as to what i need to get something like this setup. The player logs in, gets a few bucks, and has more 'stuff' available to them.. at the end of the week there is a 'race' and depending on a number of factors you do 'so' well in the race, win some money and can attract new sponsors (which will give you more money each time you login). The more stripped down and simple the better, I don't want to spend hardly any time administering the game, i want to get it going and be pretty much hands-off from there on out (as i will need to concentrate on the business that will hopefully get the extra site traffic and thus extra sales). any help would be very much appreciated.

Advertisement
Well if your aiming for a social networking game then you will need to look at the API that is provided by that particular site and see what it supports. For instance I know that with Facebook you can use PHP or Flash (When I was playing with it I went with Flex).

My best guess would be that you should look into PHP and mySQL. Even when I used Flex as my client program I still had a PHP script behind the scenes interacting with my database using AMFPHP (http://www.amfphp.org/).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!