energy of a collision

Started by
1 comment, last by Silicon Dude 15 years, 8 months ago
gidday what would be the damage of two bodies colliding Im guessing something like energy = (total_speed^2) * total_mass (perhaps ^2) bodyA damage = energy * (massB/total_mass) bodyB damage = energy * (massA/total_mass) ta zed
Advertisement
It's been awhile since I've done much physics work, but I think what you want to do is calculate the momentum of each object. What you do from there depends on what you're trying to do.

Do you want to have the objects bounce off each other, or are you trying to deform them, or what?
Just compute kinetic energy of one object moving relative to the other.

v1, v2 ... velocity vectors of both objects

v = v2 - v1 ... relative velocity of the objects

Ek = m * |v|2 / 2 ... impact energy (kinetic energy of the objects relative to each other)

EDIT:

Weighting damage by the relative mass is good approximation for objects that are of the same material. But for example when I take a piece of wood (a baseball bat is a good example) and hit someone in the head with it, it would do minimal damage to the bat although its mass is much smaller.

You would need to account for material properties (none of them I can imagine or quantify now) and other things. When objects don't collide head on, large fraction of kinetic energy may go into resulting rotation of the objects instead of deforming them.
The path not chosen often seems to be the better one.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement