[java] Java Sound Help Needed.

Started by
7 comments, last by INsanityDesign 15 years, 8 months ago
Okay, so when I run this code I get an UnsupportedAudioFileException. I have the MP3 plug in installed, and even if I run it with bgm.mid it throws the same thing. Can someone please help me?

import java.io.File;
import java.io.InputStream;
import java.io.FileNotFoundException;
import java.io.*;

import javax.sound.sampled.*;

public class sound
{
	//AudioInputStream as;
//	AudioSystem ay;
	Clip c;

sound()
	{
		try
		{

//System.out.print("\n\n\n\n\nc = " + ay.getAudioInputStream(new File("bgm.mp3") ).toString() + "\n\n\n\n\n");

//	c = new Clip();
			//as = 
			c.open(AudioSystem.getAudioInputStream(new File("bgm.mp3")));
		}

catch(IOException e)
		{
			System.out.print("\n\n\n\n\nc = " + " IO not"  + "\n\n\n\n\n");
		}

catch(UnsupportedAudioFileException e)
		{
			System.out.print("\n\n\n\n\nc = " + " mp3 not"  + "\n\n\n\n\n");
		}

catch(LineUnavailableException e)
		{
			System.out.print("\n\n\n\n\nc = " + " line not"  + "\n\n\n\n\n");
		}

//	catch(Exception e)
	//	{
		//	System.out.print("\n\n\n\n\nc = " + ay.getAudioInputStream(new File("bgm.mp3") ) + "\n\n\n\n\n");
	//		System.out.print("\n\n\n\n\nc = " + as  + "\n\n\n\n\n");
	//	}
	}

public void play()
	{
		System.out.print("\n\n\n\n\nc = " + c + "\n\n\n\n\n");
		c.start();
	}
}

[size=12pt]SoraCross Development"A website dedicated to bringing you high quality games and web designs."
Advertisement
Anyone? I noticed that this subforum is dead, so if I don't get a reply by tomorrow I'll post it in general game programming.
[size=12pt]SoraCross Development"A website dedicated to bringing you high quality games and web designs."
This forum is not dead but you're description of the error is very vague, and I do not think that this is the real code, as "sound()" shouldn't work.

First of all, which "plugin" did you install? JMF? Or do you use the "lib" jLayer?
What is the real source code? What is the whole stacktrace?

With that information you are more likely to get help in such a hurry.
-----The next statement is not true!The previous statement is true!
Wow, really? Okay, first off this is the real code. "sound()" is a constructor for the class, not a method. That's why it doesn't need things infront of it. The error is not vauge. vauge would be "Exception" not "UnsupportedAudioFileException" which is the exact error it throws.

Did you try compileing the code? Try it (I use J creator) and you'll see it is proper. I just need to know why I am getting UnsupportedAudioFileException thrown even when I use audio formats that are supported.
The "studio()" constructor, ok, my fault, haven't thought of constructor as I personally set the visibility always.

But you still didn't say which "plugin" you installed? Does it need explicit libs given to the build path? I tried your code, of course, but how can I reproduce if I do not know which "plugin" or "library" you're meaning.
Well, I've tried a few a few diffeant ways.

JMF2.1.1e, and mp3spi.

First I tried adding the jars to the /ext/ folder on my jre and jdk, than adding those jars to the jdk profile in j creator. Than I tried setting them as needed libs from the projects menu. But both did the same thing. Also, I think I'm using the java sound API. Anyway, the error happens when I try to play .mid files too, which I know are supported. I have the audio files in the same directery as the class files in my project.
Hi,

first of all, you are using Windows, right? Because JMF MP3 support is Win only (if the FAQ is correct).

Second, JMF adds "LIBS" and further functions not "support" to old/other methods like Clip. If I remember correctly you have to create a Player object of JMF. There are several tutorials for that e.g. https://www6.software.ibm.com/developerworks/education/j-jmf/index.html.

Another way would be to use jLayer (http://www.javazoom.net/javalayer/javalayer.html) and this source for example http://www.cs.princeton.edu/introcs/faq/mp3/MP3.java.html.

Both approaches worked for me.
Yes, I'm on windows. The latter worked, but I am having trouble getting my music to loop. Do you have any ideas?

/************************************************************************* *  Compilation:  javac -classpath .:jl1.0.jar MP3.java         (OS X) *                javac -classpath .;jl1.0.jar MP3.java         (Windows) *  Execution:    java -classpath .:jl1.0.jar MP3 filename.mp3  (OS X / Linux) *                java -classpath .;jl1.0.jar MP3 filename.mp3  (Windows) *   *  Plays an MP3 file using the JLayer MP3 library. * *  Reference:  http://www.javazoom.net/javalayer/sources.html * * *  To execute, get the file jl1.0.jar from the website above or from * *      http://www.cs.princeton.edu/introcs/24inout/jl1.0.jar * *  and put it in your working directory with this file MP3.java. * *************************************************************************/import java.io.BufferedInputStream;import java.io.FileInputStream;import javazoom.jl.player.Player;public class sound {    private String filename;    private Player player;     Thread bgm;    FileInputStream fis;    BufferedInputStream bis;//    String filename;    // constructor that takes the name of an MP3 file    public sound()     {    	this.filename = "bgm.mp3";    	        try {            fis     = new FileInputStream(filename);            bis = new BufferedInputStream(fis);            player = new Player(bis);        }        catch (Exception e) {            System.out.println("Problem playing file " + filename);            System.out.println(e);        }                bgm = new Thread()         {            public void run()             {            	while(true)	            {	            	try 	                { 	                	if(player.isComplete())	                	{	                		player = new Player(bis);	                	}	                	                	if(player.getPosition() <= 0)	                	{	                		player.play();	                	} 	                }	                	                catch (Exception e) 	                { 	               	 System.out.println(e); 	                }                }           }        };    }    public void close() { if (player != null) player.close(); }    // play the MP3 file to the sound card    public void play()     {	        // run in new thread to play in background        if(!bgm.isAlive() || player.isComplete())        bgm.start();    }    // test client    /*public static void main(String[] args) {        String filename = args[0];                // do whatever computation you like, while music plays        int N = 4000;        double sum = 0.0;        for (int i = 0; i < N; i++) {            for (int j = 0; j < N; j++) {                sum += Math.sin(i + j);            }        }        System.out.println(sum);        // when the computation is done, stop playing it        mp3.close();        // play from the beginning        mp3 = new MP3(filename);        mp3.play();    }*/}
Hi,

take this: http://www.informit.com/guides/content.aspx?g=java&seqNum=290

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement