• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rozz666

[C++] Dynamic types using virtual functions

This topic is 3753 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I thought about making dynamic (runtime) expression templates. I thought about using polymorphism as it allows to handle data of any type (e.g. boost::any). An appriopriate virtual function would return a new object of a new type. However, I'm 99% sure this is impossible (ignore the memory leak for the safe of example):
class base {
public:
	virtual base *make() = 0;
};

template <typename T>
class X : public base {
public:

X(const T& t) : value(t) { }

base *make()
	{
		return new X<X<T> >(value); // creates a new type
	}

private:
	T value;
};

int main()
{
	X<int> x(5);

x.make();
}
This causes:
Error	1	fatal error C1001: An internal error has occurred in the compiler.	d:\temp\vstest1\vstest1.cpp	15
under VS 2008 and
[C++ Error] Unit1.cpp(21): E2178 VIRDEF name conflict for 'X< lots of X<int> lots of > *'
[C++ Error] Unit1.cpp(38): E2178 VIRDEF name conflict for 'X< lots of X<int> > > lots of > >'
[C++ Error] Unit1.cpp(38): E2178 VIRDEF name conflict for 'X<X<lot sof X<int> > lots of >::make()'
under Borland Dev Studio 2008 So is it 100% impossible? EDIT: Comeau Online spits enermous amounts of < and > :-) [Edited by - rozz666 on August 3, 2008 4:34:17 PM]

Advertisement
The point of an expression template is that it converts a runtime expression evaluation into a compile-time representation using templates (which can then be optimized by the compiler). So, a runtime expression template would convert a runtime expression evaluation into a runtime representation (which can be done by keeping the original expression).

In short, what do you call 'dynamic expression template', exactly?

I have made an expression-template-based library for manipulating 2d arrays (eg. +, -, sin() etc.). The problem is I want to make a parser (parse A + B * C) that will output an expression I could then use to compute the results.

Quote:
Original post by rozz666
I have made an expression-template-based library for manipulating 2d arrays (eg. +, -, sin() etc.). The problem is I want to make a parser (parse A + B * C) that will output an expression I could then use to compute the results.

That's not a job for templates—runtime polymorphism, as required by expressions, is different from compile-time polymorphism that templates provide, and should instead be achieved through inheritance.

Think about it this way: if you want to use your expression templates, then the type of the resulting expression template must be known at compile-time (because it's a type) and therefore, since the type of the expression template maps to the expression itself, the expression must also be known at compile-time. Since this is impossible in a parser situation, you have no choice but to use runtime polymorphism instead.

Quote:
Original post by ToohrVyk
Quote:
Original post by rozz666

That's not a job for templates—runtime polymorphism, as required by expressions, is different from compile-time polymorphism that templates provide, and should instead be achieved through inheritance.

Think about it this way: if you want to use your expression templates, then the type of the resulting expression template must be known at compile-time (because it's a type) and therefore, since the type of the expression template maps to the expression itself, the expression must also be known at compile-time. Since this is impossible in a parser situation, you have no choice but to use runtime polymorphism instead.

It seems I will have to. I tried to do a workaround but it my example the compiler has to generate all possible make() functions and there are infinitely many, am I right?

Quote:
Original post by rozz666
It seems I will have to. I tried to do a workaround but it my example the compiler has to generate all possible make() functions and there are infinitely many, am I right?

Yes. There's one type per expression, and an infinite number of expressions.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!