• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

2D Game Development interest

This topic is 3493 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well hello there everyone! Have a bit of a question for yall. I've been interested in game development for a long time now (years). I've tried to sneak my way into learning C++ and 3D development with the Torque engine, didn't go so well, and I also didn't always have the best of times with the language. I'm thinking of changing my path and shooting towards C# and also 2D development (do they work together, or is another language better for 2D?). Anyway, I've finally got a decent amount of money available to burn on books and such so I'm analyzing my options at the moment, primarily for a good book or two that could help me out, are there any suggestions? (I did ask earlier in the chatroom and was pointed towards the DotNetBookZero used in workshops, and I'm going to give that a read soon.) For the sake of knowledge so you all can see where I'm aiming to go, I want to create a game similar to the style of Soldat (It's a 2D Sidescrolling shooter, online and offline) but obviously with my own design and such. So with all of that in mind, what might be some possible book directions I could take? I have looked over the books on the website, but many have great ratings, does it really just come down to a matter of preference? Thanks for any and all help! Justin

Advertisement
C# is perfectly good for 2d, even for 3d. I just recommend reading DotNetBookZero(or any good C# book) and after that you can try XNA. It's just important to stick with one language and learn it.

Alright, I shall take a further look into that book then, I wanted to know if this is recommended by anyone though, "Beginning C# Game Programming". For me, there is something about actually having the book next to me that I prefer over reading it from the internet (and no I don't want to print off 250+ pages of it :) )

Thanks again!

Justin

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement