• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

My child window won't update

This topic is 3489 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am having trouble in my application, for a long time it has just been a single window and all was good, recently I decided to add a child window to it to have controls I can mess with rather than exiting changing and recompiling. it won't update the contents of the control window, I have tried showing the window again and calling window update. but it just sits there and mocks me. anywayin its final incarnation this time, I am planning on it being a economic simulation for a space game. the large white spheres are trade points, the small green ones will be ships. I need to get the external control window up and running before i go further though :) Here is the zipfile with the files, and compiled program in its current state http://www.woodrell.com/joe/econ_sim.zip Thanks guys. oh the other thing is i wanted the rendering window to be active after everything loads. right now you have to click back on it before you can move around. the controls to move: W, S -> Pitch A, D -> Yaw Q, E -> Roll R -> Rotation Dampening Brake Numpad 8, 2 -> Forward / Back 4, 6 -> Left / Right 9, 3 -> Up / Down 5 -> Movement Dampening Brake' Escape Exits

Advertisement
I haven't looked at the code in-depth, as I don't have my dev machine handy atm, but something about this rings familiar. I noticed you have your main message loop set up like this:

while(TRUE)
{
if (PeekMessage(&msg, NULL, 0, 0, PM_REMOVE))
{
if (msg.message == WM_QUIT)
break;
TranslateMessage(&msg);
DispatchMessage(&msg);
}

render_frame();
// check the 'escape' key
if(KEY_DOWN(VK_ESCAPE))
PostMessage(hWnd, WM_DESTROY, 0, 0);
}

That means that only one message will get handled for each frame. These messages also control your application's updates to its child windows. There can be a few dozen messages delivered to an application's message queue in a fraction of a second. Even if you render at 60fps, this may form a large backlog (and the queue can even overflow).

Try changing the "if" around the PeekMessage block into a "while" and see if that helps.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement